175CD Stromberg carbs

Is this a common problem the plugs in the bottom of the float chambers are fitted with O rings to seal them I have been running the engine on unleaded fuel and on one side it started leaking fuel, I replaced the O ring and all is well, but now the other side has started leaking, is this something to do with the fuel ??????????? I have heard that some fuel pipe is not suitable for unleaded fuel is this true ????

Richard

-- To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

The O-rings are probably just 'old'.

Reply to
Dougal

O-rings on the bottom tend to get rather hot under the bonnet, and heat tends to make rubber seals go hard and brittle after time. Most

175CD's that havn't been serviced recently leak from the o-rings underneath. Bearing in mind that the o-rings on your V8 have probably been there since it was made, years ago.

The fuel pipe that isn't suitable for unleaded is the old see-thru stuff, with the white mesh inside the plastic. Not seen much on vehicles anyway.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Some older types of fuel pipe , certainly the clear braided type that goes brown with age , are not supposed to be suitable for Unleaded , which contains , I believe, more Benzenes. Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

On or around Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:55:01 GMT, "R L Driver" enlightened us thusly:

that clear plastic fuel pipe is horrid stuff anyway. impossible to alter once it's been on there a while as it goes rock hard.

Reply to
Austin Shackles