HIF SU's...

Hi all, I've been reconditioning my carbs, first one went well, BUT....The second carbe seems to have a problem. The float bowl cap ( bit at bottom of carb, held on by 4 screws) seems to be out of true. Replaced the O ring, re-fitted it, and it leaks from this seal area, on checking it, it is curved on all 4 sides, in a convex manner! I checked the other carb, and it is also slightly curved, but not enough to break the seal. Has anyone come across this before, and do they know if I have to replace the cap? I'm thinking of trying Hylomar(blue) in addition to the seal, but the curve depth is

Reply to
blemish

I'm thinking of trying Hylomar(blue) in addition to

Reply to
TVS

SUs

Er, I thought blue was fuel proof? ( well, petrol doesn't dissolve it, as opposed to a large fuel/air bomb being used to vaporize it :0) )

`Mark

Reply to
blemish

It doesn't set properly in the presence of petrol, and as a result will remain soft and gradually dissolve/disperse.

I have found.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Reply to
mark.flint

Hylomar blue doesn't set like red anyway, and to be honest, if you use enough of it so that it can squeeze out of the joint, you're putting far too much on anyway. I was taught to use it very sparingly, on exceptionally clean surfaces, and have never had a problem using it that way. I'll check the specs, 'cos I'm sure it's listed as ok for use in the presence of fuels.

`Mark

Reply to
Mark