1995 Discovery engine noise

I just bought the above vehicle. 100k miles and runs good, but the engine (3.9) sure is noisy. Is this normal? I was told by a mechanic in town that they all seem to do this at about 70k miles.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Dzurinda

Hi Joe, are we talking noisy all the time or just at start-up, or what?

My 3.9 is as quiet as a quiet thing on a very quiet day in a Franciscan monestary ... except occasionally when I fire it up for the first time that day, when it sounds like a bag of old nails for a few seconds before resuming it's quiet purring.

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Had a similar problem with mine recently - normally as quiet as a very quiet thing but suddenly got noisy and noise increased in relation to engine revs.

Turned out to be the viscous coupling on the radiator fan had seized. With the engine turned off, try to turn the fan. If there is no movement at all it is probably seized and a new viscous unit is needed.

Reply to
Exit

This is noisy all the time. Sounds like the lifters, almost like they are solid lifters. I've been told when these vehicles reach 70k they get noisy. At least mine is. Other then that I have no complaints.

It has to go in for repairs though. There is a nasty oil leak at the front of the intake manifold.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Dzurinda

If it's noisy there is something wrong - I drive many different ones and even with 150,000 miles they tend to tick at the top end, but not get generally noisy.

Hope you find whats wrong.

Reply to
Exit

By noisy I mean the ticking. I guess I'm not used to an engine with ticking valves.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Dzurinda

On or around Thu, 25 Dec 2003 22:16:48 -0600, "Joe Dzurinda" enlightened us thusly:

could be a worn camshaft, depending on how well serviced it's been.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Worn timing chain is what has been causing the ticking on ours.

Reply to
Nikki

Dunno, but who cares I didn't move from a limo to a landie without expecting a bit of discomfort.

Larry

Reply to
Larry