1995 RRC electrical conundrum

Set off in the ice and snow on Saturday to go to local shops in my 1995 RRC V8 SE. Heated front and rear screens defrosted themselves fine before I set off, with the front screen cutting out on its timer as usual. I then pressed the switch for the rear wiper (the push to start, push again to stop type), intending just to clear the rear screen then switch it off, but the switch stuck in the depressed position. By the time I stopped at the shops a few minutes later, the rear wiper had stopped working. I jiggled the switch free but did not attempt to operate it again in case it stuck again. I did try the adjacent rear wash/wipe switch but there was no sign of life from rear wiper, so I assumed that the stuck switch had caused a fuse to blow. But I then noticed that the electric windows had also stopped working, as had the heated front screen (rear one was fine) which puzzled me as I did not recall them being on the same fuse. However, as it was too dark and cold to investigate further, I headed home, parked and disconnected the battery overnight. I checked the fuses today and all seemed to be ok, so reconnected the battery, but the rear wiper, electric windows and front heated screen are all still dead. Have I missed checking a fuse or relay somewhere? Or has something more dire happened in the electrics, perhaps in the ECU? All ideas and suggestions as to what to check next would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Reply to
Simon Oates

Do you have the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual?

I'll send you copies of the relevant sections if you want to try to fathom out what is linked to what.

Reply to
Dougal

How do you know the front heated screen is dead? The indicator light in the switch could be fed from somewhere else. IIRC a lot of the switch indicator LEDs on a DII are like that.

Also the front screen takes a hefty current, again from a DII, it's split into two sections left and right and each section is fused at

45A.

It might be worth looking through the engine compartment fuse box as I'd expect all those things to be individually fused (in the passenger compartment box) but they could share a common supply from the engine compartment fuse box.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Simon Oates