1998/R Land Rover Discovery TDi Automatic 2.5 Tdi gs

I am just about to be dragged to a garage to look at buying a Discovery by my wife. Given the difficulties of looking at a vehicle on a garage forecourt and the usual time and sales pressures, does anyone have any key items they would recommend checking? This vehicle has done 63,000 miles. Its likely fuel consumption would be of interest to me as well.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Reply to
Newsgroups

Which part of the country? If you happen to be near Bagshot, I'll come with you :)

Check for any signs of head gasket failure (ie, engine oil looks like mayonnaise, cruddy cooling water) - not common but I've heard of it. Apart from that, just the usual things - any corrosion, does the engine seem to run smoothly, any excessive smoke from it, is the gearbox clunky, etc. Check for a service history. I think the serpentine belt problem with the

300tdi was fixed by this time but I'm no expert.

What price are you looking at? Remember you can get a TD5 (more refined engine, bigger, more up-to-date interior) for around £10K and you can get quite a good one for about £13K.

Fuel cons probably about 26-30mpg on the 300Tdi.

HTH David

Reply to
David French

There's quite a bit to check:

  1. Underbonnet - check radiator expansion tank is half full of blue-green antifreeze, not rusty water which suggests failed head gasket and regular water top-ups. Check oil filler and dipstick for water contamination and any mayonnaise like deposits which again suggest the head. Check under and behind the thermostat housing (front/top of engine) for a common water jacket oil leak on 300TDi's. If there is any evidence of head gasket failure you are looking at head off and crack testing before replacement - £500 or so depending on who does it, more if a new head is needed. Also check the usual suspects - power steering fluid, brake fluid etc, etc.

  1. Underneath - check for oil leaks - surface moisture OK, drips not. Look for evidence of damage from off-roading.

  2. Inside - Check all electrics work etc, etc. Make sure service history is good. Check condition of controls matches quoted mileage.

  1. Driving - Should start easily with no undue noises and should quieten as it warms up. Hold the car on the brakes and put it into drive then neutral then reverse and listen for clunks. When driving go onto and off the throttle clumsily and listen for clunks. Don't expect much performance, but expect it to be consistent. Brakes should be strong and quiet and no undue lean when cornering. Should go in a straight line when wheel is released.

  2. Buying - make sure it has been HPi checked and V5 is correct.

I would expect 27-30mpg with a manual and 3mpg less with an auto.

Good luck! ;-)

Reply to
Exit

On or around Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:07:43 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

but lots compared to a "normal" car, or indeed, compared to my 110.

it should lean equally both ways and sit level at rest though.

if the ride feels "bouncy", then the dampers are shot but they're easy and cheap to fix.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've had my 94' 300tdi for three weeks and I love it. I've also got a brand new top of the range Laguna 2.2dti (company car) which has not seen much use since ""Bertha" has arrived. It's a different driving experience, I feel vulnerable in the Renault now!

I'll be replacing the laguna in 12 months and I will be getting some sort of LR to replace it - probably a Freelander ( I dont think I'll get a Disco on £20,500) But I'll keep "bertha" regardless. Do check the gerarbox for the "clunk" , mine has got it and I'll find out what is causing it on the full service in a couple of weeks (no point in mee trying to locate it, I'll leave it to the pro's) Knowing my luck it'll need a new gear or transfer box.

StaffBull

Reply to
StaffBull

Look for the usual things, service history, preferably LR, oil condition, nocks and scrapes from off road use. Mileage is OK but be aware that a cambelt change is due soon (72000 for the 300TDi) I was quoted £200 to £300 from LR dealer. As to fuel consumption I get 24 no mater what (Towing or not) with my N plate 300TDI ES Auto.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon