2.5 diesel transit engine

I've seen a land rover with a 2.5 diesel transit engine fitted. Anyone know about these engines? how does it perform in a Land Rover? MPG? cost of parts? etc...

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

I think the confusion sets in when people assume all the Tranny engines are the same. Magic words here must be the "Di" bit?

Earlier Transits had the York engine, or was that a Cummins or a Peugeot one? I forget! Either way, I think that the later the engine, the better. Anyone know if the latest engines will fit, even that gets confusing with FWD and RWD Transits :(

I put mine into storage this year, started it almost 2 years ago :) Maybe when the weather gets better again I'll drag it out and finish it off. Bullet to the head sounds most humane. The engine needs new timing belt and some other bits first. Have a spare engine as well but no spare adaptor plate.

Glad to see a really positive opinion on the kit though, Smurf might be along in a minute, his pulled well.

All the best

Reply to
wayne

OH DONT TALK ABOUT TIMIMG BELTS!!!!

I made the mistake of not putting a new belt on my DI lump when i put it in and the stupid thing snapped the first time i went through a massive puddle whilst off-roading! lucky enough all these engines do is bent the push rods so i hammered them straight (in the middle of a field) and put another belt on it and it fired up straight away! :) BUT then the timing belt cover got full of mud a few months later and made the belt p!!!! - no damage this time!

SO IF U R GONNA USE A TRANSIT DI ENGINE OFFROAD THEN SILICONE THE TIMING COVER ON AS BEST AS U CAN!!!!

The engine i used was a 1988 one - before the 'banana' manifold.

Have fun!

MC.

-------------

Reply to
Mark C.

I've still got to check mine and see if they are bent :)

One day... no point in rushing these things.

Reply to
wayne

It did indeed pull well, lwb, standard 4 speed box and standard difs (no overdrive), 75mph, and 35+mpg..... The standard rad is well man enough for the cooling and the kit that Milner used to suply if wonderful ( now suplied by someone else in the Matlock area, Milner will give you details as I can't think of the name.

My advice ...... DO IT ( must be the 2.5di tho ) ( not the older 2.4 york)

Reply to
Smurf

On or around Fri, 26 Dec 2003 20:00:11 -0000, "Smurf" enlightened us thusly:

the York is the sort of engine that got the diesel a reputation for being noisy, slow and difficult to start.

The transit Di, is a sound bit of kit, and the turbo version is probably not far off as good as a LR TDi - not so easy to find second-hand though.

Engine I always faniced was the straight-6 they put in some of the VW LTs, but I've no idea if it fits a LR.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I am a little too young to remember the york engine (thank god by the sound of things) as i was only born in 1981 - make u feel old? lol When did the york engine finish manufacture?

I would agree with Mr Shackles that the LT 6pot diesel is a good strong, nice sounding piece of kit thet like the transit DI seem to go 4 ever! as to weather it would fit or not...............?

I do know of someone who has put a 3.2 forklift engine in a SIII LR but its just blown the box :o(

MC.

---------

Reply to
Mark C.

When did

You are both mistaken in your impression of the VW LT engine which is a heap of unreliable s**te. Not even fit to be mentioned in the same company as the Ford unit which lasts three to four times as long on average.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Gutily as charged! SIIA , 2.5 transit DI engine! in one word - BRILLIANT!!!!!

when i thought of doing this conversion i remember someone saying to me "DONT DO IT!!! COMPLETELY GUTLESS AND NO MORE THAN 45MPH MAX" - RUBBISH!!!!! The thing absoltuely flies 4 a diesel 'tank'! it gets to

65mph and hits the limiter no problem and would do it even on a slight gradient! there is SOOOO much low down torque its unreal! I use it for offroading and on the steepest hills the LR can loose traction and i can take my foot off of the accelerator and it will wheelspin on IDLE speed!

I spent £250+vat 4 the conversion fitting fit which is well made although the instructions are a bit poor. there was 2 of us doing the conversion and it took us 3 days to complete. the majority of the time is spent doing all the little silly bits like fabricating the hoses and adding electric fans etc.

I would strongly reccomend this option as would EVERYONE thats driven my SIIA!

MPG - not sure but GOOD! i have done 200 miles on road + 5 complete days offroading + stole 10 litres of diesel out of it and its still going!!!!!

I got the conversion kit from here -

Hope this helps you - it did me! :o)

MC.

Mark C.

LOL what makes u say that? was u an unfortunate owner at one stage?

MC.

--------

Reply to
Mark C.

I wouldn't go that far but generally do not like it. I drive an lt35 tipper, it's a pig to start and gutless enough to need 2nd gear on the long slog up to Hindhead, which the 110 does in top.

Isn't the ford di engine derived from or the same as the Iveco? This was available as na, turbo or turbo intercooled, when IIRC is gave about 170bhp.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

No. I am involved with transport and distribution in a small way and do know that many LT sixes do not achieve much more than 100k miles before catastrophic top end failure with sheared camshafts. They have a very poor reputation as a result.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

In a nutshell, no.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Heres one 4 u - why does the DI lump NOT have glow plugs?

MC.

Reply to
Mark C.

I have never been intimate with this engine series ;-) but glow plugs are the minority preferred method of cold starting direct injection engines. Thermostart is a more common option which is fitted to the inlet manifold. In any case, they start quite well just by cranking at ambient temps. above 0C.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The only cold start aid on mine was a electric servo type thingy, and all that did was pull the throttle open slightly to increase tickover speed till the engine warmed up ( I never connected it ) And it NEVER failed to start even in a yorkshire winter.

Reply to
Smurf