2.5TD to 3.5V8 upgrade

Sounds like a good thing to me :o)

Only problem is finding someone to do it for me.... I have a dead 90TD, and a (apparently) live V8 waiting for it ,but am finding it very difficult to locate someone to fit it for me (I'm as mechanical as a soap dish...).

Does anyone here know of a decent, not too expensive garage/mechanic/someone-who-does-this-all-the-time who would be willing to do all the necessary? Chester area.

The V8 is complete (except wiring and exhaust), and even has an lpg kit that I'd like fitting too.

TIA

Andy

Reply to
Andy Mott

Is that the 19J engine in the 90? (pre 200tdi turbo diesel). If so is the injector pump servicable? I need one for my 12J and I think they are the same.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I think it's a 12J. If not, then definitely a 19J; it's a bog-standard turbo diesel from 1988. AFAIK all bits work. The problem is compression (I'm told this, because I wouldn't know myself). I think it needs a rebore and sleeving, probably new rings (do I sound like I know what I'm on about yet...?). Turbo, injector thingies, alternator, fuel/oil pumps etc should all be working.

Is there a way I can check model and the functionality of the bits and pieces?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Mott

Sounds like a 19J most parts the same as my 12J. Where are you located?

this is the injector pump as fitted on mine

grey gook ontop is the reason for me needing another. I snappedthe bleed screw and housing off and this is the botched repair, itwon't hold forever.

If your injector pump works then that's good enough for me, I'll have my man in Plymouth sort out the fitting and setting malarky.

12J is the naturally aspirated (non-turbo) diesel land rover engine. 19J is the same more or less, some internal changes and a turbo tied to the side. after that it was 200tdi and 300tdi.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I'm near Chester, Cheshire. About 40mins from M6 J19.

Looks scary to me! I'll have a look at mine tomorrow (when it's light), and try putting up a pic. I'll post it here when I've done it. As I said, it should work, because it was working before the motor died :o/

I thought I'd read the manual properly, but it would be no surprise if I didn't! Hopefully the pic will sort things out.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Mott

I should clarify that the 12J is the 2.5 litre n/a engine. academic in this case but would hate to confuse anyone.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

the TD pump has a valve fed with turbo compressed air on it for extra fuel on boost

Reply to
Mr Jolly

Do you want to get rid of the complete dead 2.5 TD? I'm near crewe and can take it away nice and quickly if you want it out of the way :).

(assuming that i can bolt the bits stright onto my N/A to turbofy it)

Reply to
Tom Woods

lots of bits diferent, pistons, head, pump, manifolds and a few other bits I can't remember. But u cud allways rebuild it

Reply to
Mr Jolly

Not sure you can just plug a turbo in like that... The motor will be available once it's out, and will probably be ok after a rebuild. I would keep it, but really wanted an excuse for a V8 ;o)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Mott

I rebuilt mine about a year ago now. I was assuming that i could just bolt on the turbo manifolds and a few of the other bits and pieces and it would be fairly happy. My engine is in good heatlh now so i'd reckon it has a fair chance of taking the turbo without any injury.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I'm pretty sure the pistons are different.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.