2¼ petrol heater valve

Got the head on and now refitting all the bits and bobs.

The heater valve which fits into the rear of the cylinder head - when I screw it in tight, the stub for the heater hose is facing forward. It needs to turn another 180deg to enable the hose to fit. I've annealed the copper washer to see if it will swell up a bit, but still it won't face the right way.

I could fit another washer so it tightens sooner, but it was fine with just the one when I took it off a couple of days ago.

Am I missing a trick here?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Only one suggestion. Unscrew it carefully until it just clicks - the threads disengage and drop in. Then tighten. I've used this trick on one or two things, but it may be the threads need to be particularly fine pitched for the diameter.

Reply to
David G. Bell

The heater valve which fits into the rear of the cylinder head - when I screw it in tight, the stub for the heater hose is facing forward. It needs to turn another 180deg to enable the hose to fit. I've annealed the copper washer to see if it will swell up a bit, but still it won't face the right way.

I could fit another washer so it tightens sooner, but it was fine with just the one when I took it off a couple of days ago.

Am I missing a trick here?

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

I second the suggestion about PTFE tape, I had exactly this problem 3 years ago when fitting a new valve. The PTFE tape (obtainable from a plumbing supplies shop, just in case you've never heard of it) enables you to position the outlet where you want. Hasn't leaked in 3 years.

Dave

1983 S111 petrol SWB
Reply to
David Bexhall

so David Bexhall was, like...

I not a big fan of PTFE tape in cooling systems - bits have a habit of floating off and clogging things up, although OK in an emergency. In the end I discovered the right washer - the local factor sells them as sump plug washers, which is why I couldn't find one. Once I had the correct washer, the valve fitted perfectly.

Thanks for the help, all.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

so Karen Gallagher was, like...