235/85x16 on a std 90

Any problems with this size of tyres on my standard 1985 90, apart from maybe rubbing on locks?

-- jon

Reply to
George Spigot

Getting a tyre dealer to believe that "yes" you really do mean 85 !!

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

;o)

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

On or around Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:31:32 -0000, "George Spigot" enlightened us thusly:

put 'em on suitable wheels, apart from that no. We've a thread about this at the moment, the jury's out on whether LWB rims are suitable (though I've seen plenty on such rims with no apparent problems)

standard SWB rims are too narrow.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

cool, ta :O)

-- Jon

Reply to
George Spigot

Cheers Austin I've been looking at that thread got some tyres on rims ( 4x fedima remoulds with chunky tread) and I've got some bf goodrich mud tyres x5(forgot their proper name) not on rims one set I keep one set I may get rid of.

-- Jon

Reply to
George Spigot

Why? I've had 7.50s on SWB rims for the last 20 odd years. Won the SROC RTV league twice with them, so they can't be that wrong.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

On or around 10 Mar 2005 01:12:24 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@drytecltd.com (Gordon) enlightened us thusly:

235s are wider than 7.50s. 7.50s on SWB are a bit iffy, but you can get away with it. 235s are more like 9" wide.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Am I right in thinking that the two systems measure tyre width at different points? So that a 235/85 would have a different aspect ratio if you measured width under the old system.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Austin Hi,

Land Rover themselves offer the Defender TD5 D90 with 235/85 X 16 tyres mounted on 7.5 X 16 alloy rims.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:00:24 +0200, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

the disco alloys are 7J. naturally, no bugger was in evidence *anywhere* today in town in a steel-shod defender.

I can confirm that standard 90 wheels are 5.5J.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Hi,

you are absolutely right about the standard steel Defender 90 wheel rims. Those are 5.5 inches wide.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:39:14 +0200, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

Hopefully I'll track down some more examples to look at in the next few days. Normally, this area is wall-to-wall defenders, naturally, the only ones I saw yesterday were on alloys or non-standard steels.

Reply to
Austin Shackles