A "hybrid" top on a series IIa?

I recently purchased a 1962 IIa with a top configuration I haven't seen before... It has the sides of a hardtop, yet it has a sunsheet and alpine windows. There are no roof vents. Did Land Rover ever make a top of this configuration?

Reply to
Dick Shenary

On or around Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:04:25 GMT, Dick Shenary enlightened us thusly:

they made almost every configuration you can comtemplate... you've got a safari roof, from the sound of it. Might be a retrofit or replacement, but I suspect it could be factory original too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I don't understand the difference,apparently. I thought by definition that the safari roof had roof vents?

Reply to
Dick Shenary

Dick Shenary composed the following;:

The Safari roof, ie the second roof above a normal roof, was meant to absorb the heat of he sun and not allow the normal roof to get direct sunlight, therefore in theory keeping it cooler. Whilst moving, air is channelled between the two and cools the outer safari roof quite well. Whilst stood, radiated heat does still get through to the cabin, obviously, but it does help.

There was a film somewhere of someone in the Kalahari (I think) boiling an egg on a safari roof , many years ago ISTR, in black and white ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

If you mean it hasn't got side windows, but does have the little curved windows and the vented top, no. But as the roof and side panels are listed separatly in the parts and optional parts catalogue, it is possible someone may have ordered these separatly and combined them, but it seems more likely that someone has simply amalgamated two hardtops at some point.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex, I meant that it has the one piece side windows that are slightly smaller than the sliding windows that one commonly sees on a station wagon, the sunsheet, the alpine windows, but no roof vents.

Reply to
Dick Shenary

On or around Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:01:59 GMT, Dick Shenary enlightened us thusly:

ah, well, that's yer "window hard top" with safari roof. I don't think the vents were on all the safari roofs, but I do know what you mean.

there used to be an advert for LR with little line drawings all over it of all the different configurations you could buy.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin, and everyone.

Reply to