3.5 V8 cranking Speed ?

Any ideas what speed a V8 should crank at ? Mine 101's seems awful sluggish.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I had similar problems.. cleaned all the wires. ... no difference but worth doing.

Finally the starter gave up on my way to an MOT GRRRRRr!!!!! Given all the

101 MOT issuses and problems finding a location to do it I was a tad frustrated one might say.

Anyway, A new starter ,made all the difference, it's like supercharged starting now :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

My 101's Starter is now off. Starter VERY grotty, not quite dripping wet, but close.

Some questions, not invoking the rule of Tim, since its actually a landrover question:

NO earth strap ? Is this normal ?

There are 4 copper brushes, three of which look alright, like 3/8"-1/2" poking out, one them is only poking out by about 1/4".

Is that normal ?

The inside of the comm is loaded with copper dust obviously.

The supply to the motor from the solenoid has been getting very warm by the look of it too, probably from the weak brush.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Change the crappy starter. Mine simply gave up - and that was on the

3.5 - I now have a smaller Rangie (I think) starter and a 4.6 V8 (soon, maybe, to be a 5.2 TVR V8), the replacement starter spins the nuts off it like you wouldn't believe, actually, Grumble (my 101) is the fastest starter of all may Landies. I keep meaning to record it to an MP3 - I'm a bit sad that way but you can blame Mike Derrick for that (Mike, stand up and be lambasted)...
Reply to
Mother

I've lost count of the number of rainy evenings I spent listening to Mikes recording prior to Morph.. those were dark days ..Post Reggie my V8 Rangie.... but now everything is fine I can go and listen to 7.7 litres of petrol guzzling on the drive with Percy and Morph chatting away to each other. :-)

In fact had I had sufficient funds at the right time Master Derricks monster would have been parked on my drive...but no.. my fate and Morphs was sealed.

Oh yes... Derrick and Bailey..you've alot to answer for!

Lee D

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

...and Derrick's 62FL19 is the 3.5 V8 of which we grumble.....we call him Bob the battle truck.

Mike offers excellent after sales service too ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve