3.9L Optimax ECU chip option

Hi,

Has anyone tried these ECU 'upgrades'? Are they any good, or is the money better spent elsewhere (RPI lists them at 325 pounds). I'm mainly looking for good torque with the auto gear box, of course if I could save a little on fuel it would be a plus :-)

I have a 96 Disco.

Thanks, Jens

Reply to
Jens Axboe

The guy that makes these ECU's is Mark Adams. Mentioned in other posts on here.

I had a Tornado ECU fitted to my Range Rover when I had a 4.6 fitted, it was a bespoke ECU and the transformation was astonishing.

I was getting around 265hp and the same fuel consumption as a standard 3.5 Efi.

Don't go through RPi.

I met mark at a convenient 4wd rolling road where he fitted the ECU and then tuned the engine on a rolling road, I drove there in sluggish Range Rover and drove home in something that was leaving Golf Gti's on kickdown.

You will get truly impartial and helpful advice. Mark can be contacted directly at.

Mark Adams Pharmhouse Marketing

01694 720 144

That's the last number I had for him.

Alan M. (Thinking I should be on commission..:-))

Reply to
Alan Mudd

So Alan Mudd was, like

I have considered this in the past (ECU chip + rolling road tune). Can you give some idea how much it cost? Sounds like just the thing for the 4.6.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

It was some time ago, but from memory.....

Rolling road, 2hrs @ £90 hr

Marks Time 2 Hrs @ £65 hr

Cost of ECU which I can't remember but it was around the £500 mark I think.

Sorry can't be any more accurate the paperwork went with the Rangie when I sold it.

Alan M

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Hi Alan,

But from the sound of th> The guy that makes these ECU's is Mark Adams. Mentioned in other posts on > here.

Reply to
Jens Axboe

So Alan Mudd was, like

Thanks Alan. I knew roughly how much the chips were, but hadn't a clue about the rolling road. Seems not too bad, when you think of what you're getting.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

The rolling tune is a must if you're going to the expense of changing the ECU.

The took power readings on my car before any changes, then a second run with the ecu swapped and a third run after some tuning changes.

The change was about 20% increase at each stage. And fuel consumption decreased noticably.

Reply to
Alan Mudd

So Alan Mudd was, like

Now THAT sounds interesting!

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Rich you have a P38 right?

Don't think you'll get gains like this with a gems upgrade ECU.

Bare in mind I'd had an engine built and fitted to a 1988 classic, the new engine wasn't tuned right.

The ECU wasn't fitted and it was running so lumpy I was surprised it was running at all, so it was seriously down on power when it went in.

When it came out it was running 165hp at the wheels, from experience Power Engineering and Mark Adams expalined there was approx 100hp loss through the drivetrain on a classic rangie.

330lb/ft torque, it used to drive like a dream when it was running, but it was such a huge effort to keep it running, imagine the unreliability of a normal Range Rover, double it, then add the problem of having a non standard engine with twice the power it was designed to have.....after a while the maintainance overcame the enjoyment....I sold it, and it's the only time I ever felt sad seeing a car drive away, I still miss it, but I don't miss the unreliability.

Alan M

Reply to
Alan Mudd