300 Tdi EGR valve removal, worth it ?

Seen and heard quite a few people get rid of these. Two questions; what benefit does it have and is it likely to affect the emmissions test at MoT time ?

Ta JoH

Reply to
Hirsty's

An EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation. The some of the unburned hydrocarbons that exit with the exhaust are routed back through the engine to get another try at combustion. I'm not sure if you have catalytic converters installed but, the O2 sensors located fore and aft of the converters are also part of the emission control system. It's all a very carefully balanced act when it comes to the emission control system on vehicle now. Get yourself a fault code reader before you start removing parts. It'll save you a lot of heartache and grief later.

Yes, it will greatly effect the emission test. Your vehicle will fail.

Reply to
Jeffrey S Austin

Not on a British MOT it won't - that is only a smoke test, not an emissions test per se.

Reply to
EMB

Not in the UK it won't

Early 300 tdi's did not have EGR and they have the same MOT test limits as the later ones.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Mine does have an EGR it is a late 97. I have taken the CAT out of the system and it seems to be much better, now I wondered about taking the EGR out of the system.

( Wonder what it would be like with no exhaust manifold ? :-)) )

Reply to
Hirsty's

On or around Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:47:49 GMT, "Hirsty's" enlightened us thusly:

Block the pipe with a metal disc (ISTR a 2p is about the right size) in the joint. Then if you need to you can recommission it.

The idea of this is that the valve can get stuck open or partly open and result in it recirculating when it shouldn't and other naughty things.

Haven't had any trouble getting ours through the test.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 23 Apr 2006 03:00:08 +0100, Jeffrey S Austin enlightened us thusly:

What tests do they apply on diesels where you are, then?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Depends on what part of the country you live in. California, of course, is strict. But, it's not gotten down to the point of which county within the state do you live in. This has prompted generally honest people to register their vehicles with friends in the next county. North Virginia has tests whereas here in Hampton Roads we do not. But, we're far more industrialized (shipyards and military bases) than the area around Washington DC.

Big push for low sulphur diesel now.

Reply to
Jeffrey S Austin

On or around Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:04:00 +0000, Jeffrey S Austin enlightened us thusly:

The test here is basically a smoke opacity test. They don't test for any specific chemicals. Not sure that EGR by itself does a lot anyway...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| Big push for low sulphur diesel now.

We've had LSD here for ages now - perhaps that's the difference.

(Yes yes, and the low sulphur diesel. Bloody hippies.)

Reply to
Richard Brookman