MOT advisory items - worth sorting out before next MOT?

Hi there. After having some moderate repairs to my car (Nissan Micra equation '98 - R reg) so it can pass its MOT, I have two items on the advisory list:

-Signs of corrosion to nearside sill

-Cracking to power steering belt

I have owned the car for exactly 4 months (to this day), so have never dealt with an MOT before. I know what the nearside sill is, but I'm not entirely sure what the power steering belt is. Are either of these advisories likely to be a problem before my next MOT, and is it worth having them sorted out before then? Are these problems relatively serious, and if so, is it expensive to have them fixed/replaced? Sorry for the questions but I'm still quite inexperienced when it comes to car maintenance! I just thought I had better find out what these advisories mean rather than wait for something to fail.

Thanks for your time! Sam.

Reply to
Tiit_Helimut

Tiit snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com explained on 25/05/2007 :

That could potentially be serious and cost a bit to rectify.

Just a few pounds for a belt and a matter of minutes to fit. I always fit new belts as a matter of course to any second hand vehicle I buy. They are cheap enough and could cost you dearly if the should break.

I also fit a new cam drive belt, as a matter of course - if the engine uses belt driven cams. You just never know with a second hand vehicle whether this has been done and a failure will likely wreck the entire engine.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I's suggest you get the power steering belt replaced as soon as poss. If it breaks it'll make the steering very heavy, and it's conceivable that if it does break, it could cause damage to something else. As for the corrosion, have a body shop look at it for a repair or treatment. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

In all honesty, unless the rest of the car is in good condition, it's probably not worthwhile doing anything with the rust. The cost of a proper repair will probably cost more than what the car's worth, and if one areas rusty, chances are there are other rusty areas which will most likely become an issue at the next mot (you are talking about a 9 year old car, and micras are known for rust issues). The money would be far better saved for going towards a new car when the next mot is due.

I would however get the power steering belt replaced.. As others have said, the belt failing could lead to other issues, and it's not an expensive item to get replaced.

Reply to
moray

(Tiit snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Without wanting to sound patronising, are you aware that the sill is possible the most important structural member on the car?

The belt which the engine turns to drive the power steering pump.

Don't forget that the MOT isn't a once-a-year high point of car maintenance, but a _bare minimum_ standard for any car to be on the road.

Depends on the rust on the sill. At the moment, it might well just be a case of cleaning it back and repainting it, if it's going from the outside in - but if you leave it a year, it may well need welding. In the worst case, it may well mean that the car doesn't have the strength it should have in a collision.

The belt is quick and easy. Sounds like a bloody good service wouldn't go amiss, which would include the belt. If it breaks, your steering will just be much heavier.

Reply to
Adrian

R-plate Micra will have a camchain.

Reply to
SteveH

It's a common Nissan problem - generally it's surface corrosion from the outside and not serious. A quick sand back and repaint should sort it.

Reply to
SteveH

As I found out the hard way with the cambelt thast is. The belt snapped and buggered my engine when I bought a used car. I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about it. When I get a new used car now I go through my little list of to change \ check (usually change), battery, tyres, cambelt, brake fluid, auxilary belt and so on.

Reply to
Matt

Thanks for the replies. I was planning to get the car a service once my finals are over (the poor thing hasn't had one for a couple of years), depending on how much money I have, but if I don't get a chance to I will look into replacing the power steering belt. As for the (signs of) corrosion, the way it's worded suggests that at present it isn't too serious, but if it doesn't get sorted it may become so. The rest of the car is in relatively good condition it seems, so I don't plan to get another car for a while yet (I wouldn't be able to afford it either). Oh and btw, I have a timing chain instead of a cambelt (I think!) Thanks for the advice, it's all part of the learning process for me!

Sam.

Reply to
Tiit_Helimut

A couple of years, I bet it's in need of it alright.

Worth picking up a manual for you car from ebay or where ever and if you have basic mechanical skills doing a service yourself. You could save a little by getting the oil and filter changed at National who have a offer on I think and doing the rest yourself. Saves you messing about with dirty oil\disposal and filter.

A simple toolkit goes a long way with simple routine maintenance.

Good luck with it all.

Reply to
Matt

Tiit snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com brought next idea :

With cars, my way of looking at it is they are cheap - but you can never be sure what you are buying with second hand ones. If you find a good reliable second hand one, it is worth investing a little time and money in it - even more perhaps than its absolute market value.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Personally, no, and if it's an advisory it's not going to be a major issue, cheap welding job.

Yep, the belts cheap to fix in advance & a pain in the ass when it goes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I have a 1990 Carlton estate which is very rusty however it passes the MOT each year without any advisories although I do weld up the more structural parts before it goes in. To me it's not a big deal but to someone who wouldn't do it themselves I imagine it'd cost a lot. For the OP I'd say just wait until the next MoT but it does kind of depend how bad it is.

Reply to
adder1969