89 G-Reg 90 2.5td questions

Hello All,

I bought my first land-rover about two months ago and it's been running fine since. It has 110,000 roughly on the clock but it seems to be in fairly good nick. I have some questions though and thought this would probably be the best place to pose them!

1) It rarely starts first time in the morning, usually 2nd but sometimes 3rd go. Do I need to hold the key until the orange light comes on for more than 10-15 seconds or should that be enough?

2) When it does start it blows Grey smoke but only for a few seconds. I've never owned a diesel before so I don't know if this is normal or not. It doesn't seem to have any detrimental affect on the way it runs though.

3) Recently I've had to take the 90 to work (down the M4 40 miles or so) and back and it seems to have developed a knocking that appears to stem from under the passenger seat area. I had a look and a poke under the wheel arch and there doesn't seem to be anything hanging loose (it happens more at lower speeds 40 mph). What did concern me is that there are some empty bolt holes under there that look as though they should have something in them. Looking at the passenger side suspension area it doesn't match up with driver's side (probably because it's a 4x4). Again I wouldn't have a clue if this was normal or not.

4) It didn't come with any service history as such, should I have a cam belt service done and if so what do they cost roughly?

5) Last question if I wanted to change the wheels what options do I have. Would a newer Defender's wheels bolt straight on or do I need to get spacers?

Many thanks

Julio Laker

Twas 21 Apr 2004 04:11:12 -0700 when snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Julio Laker) put finger to keyboard producing:

I've found that to be enough down to around -30c (I've not been colder than that).

I'd not worry about that as long as it goes soon after starting.

If you don't know when it was done then get it done, as for cost I don't know, but it's cheaper than a new engine ;o)

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

-
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

CHECK YOUR WHEEL NUTS!!!!!!

Then check your radius arm bushes......

Neil

Neil Brownlee

Check your glow plugs, all 4 had gone on mine, now it starts first time after the lioght has gone out. About the light, the glows caome on for a period of time dependant on temperature but do stay on for a few seconds after the light has gone out. Plugs are about £8 each, No 4 is a pig to get at.

Grey tends to be moisture, but if it goes dont wory.

Could be for attaching a side step if they are on the chasis rails.

Get it done its cheaper that a new engine, Ive been quoted £200 to £300 at a LR dealer for a 300TDi cam belt change, indipendants are cheaper.

Should do but perhaps someone else will know for definite.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Yup. I used to have to hold my 90 TD glow plugs for 30-40seconds and then it took 10seconds to turn over.

With the plugs replaced I could hold it for 10 and it would start everytime. Winter as well as summer.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

On or around Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:34:16 +0100, "Tim Guy" enlightened us thusly:

mind, the ol' 1.8 leyland I had in a burper once took a minute of preheat in warm weather and about a minute-40 in cold weather. Those were the old series-wired plugs like the old 2¼ engines had though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

OK, I'll be the one to ask - what's a burper?

Reply to
David French

On or around Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:43:19 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

leyland sherpa van...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Wheel nuts are fine, sadly I don't know what radius arm bushes are. Thanks for all the responses. I'll change the glow plugs and get someone who knows what they're doing to check underneath.

Reply to
Julio Laker

The 2.5 in my S2 is the same - about 40 seconds on a warm day, anything up to 2 minutes in winter. New plugs may be a good move...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Mine used to be like that. I bought new heater plugs that according to the book in the shop took 11 seconds to glow (they wernt the standard sherpa or LR ones), and It'll start after about 10 seconds now :) . Well worth the investment! (about £35 for the set i think)

Reply to
Tom Woods