96RR 4.0se A/C Problems

My newly purchased (and new love) 1996 Range Rover 4.0SE is starting to give me some A/C problems. I live in Arkansas, so high heat and high humidity are around more than not--its vital to have functioning air. Here's the deal:

I started using the a/c this summer and it would blow fine...start to cool down...then warm up....cool down....warm up..... Then it pretty much got to where it would not cool down at all. On top of this, the compressor/clutch (not sure which) will squeal, only sometimes, from about 1500 rpm's to 2500 rpm's only when the a/c compressor is on. So I take it to the a/c shop (this happens to be their first Land Rover to work on).

They evactuate and refill the system with refrigerant and PAG100 leak detector and oil for the compressor. I was 3/4 of a pound low. The second problem is my condensor fans do not work at all. They are unable to troubleshoot the fan problem as they have no documentation on it, however, I have a the RAVE cd that contains all the factory service manuals.

His thoughts on the squeal was that because I had no condenser fans, too much head pressure was building up in the system and the compressor was squealing because of the strain being put on it. He thinks that getting the fans to spin would fix that.

Here is what I have found: The fans are good ALL relays/fuses are good The clutch engages and disengages frequently (tried removing a shim in case the magnet throw was being affected) If I remove the single pressure switch wiring harness, and jumper it, the fans spin on low. If I remove the dual pressure switch and jumper pins 1-2 the compressor kicks on and pins 3-4 turn the fans on warp speed. The clutch still engages and disengages randomly with the dual pressure swtich bypassed.

Even with the fans on warp speed, the compressor still squeals - sometimes.

So whats wrong?!?!?! Where can I go next? The air gets nice and cold and I have the single pressure switch jumpered all the time to help out some.

Its getting on up to the 100 degree mark quickly and I need to cool down!

Thanks in advance.

David Blasingame snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

Reply to
David Blasingame