accelerator cable snapped dam dam

Hello All. Some advice please my Accelerator cable snapped. I managed to repair it. But my revs are sitting about 1000 or more. Is there a way to readjust this or better just replace the cable. If latter quick tips on removal refitting and adjusting. :(

Reply to
John Oakes

On or around Thu, 03 Feb 2005 05:48:22 +0000, John Oakes enlightened us thusly:

diesel or petrol?

either way, I suspect not enough free play in the cable. On a diesel the idle speed is set by adjustment on the pump, the cable should be slack. ditto on a petrol, except the adjustment's on the carb.

'course, on the V8 hotwire, it decides for itself what speed to idle at - on mine, anything between 750 (correct) and 2000 revs have been observed.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Happened to me once, I removed the rubber bung from by the fuse box (defender) and ran a piece of rope from the linkage to the cab, drove by hand throttle for a couple of hundred miles or so until I could get a new one.

Best to get a new one pronto, when fitting it there is an obvious screwey uppy thingy to take-up any slack. be sure your pedal hits metal before the linkage on the engine runs out of movement to prevent straining the cable.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

PS, when I replaced mine I used a pattern one which lasted 2 days so replaced it with a genuine LR one which has the inner cable plastic coated and gives a much lighter pedal which I found preferable.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Reply to