Fixing a scratch on my bonnet

Just got my brand new Fiesta 3 weeks ago and took it out for a it's first long run on the motorway but was rather distressed when I got back to find a scratch on the bonnet :-(. It was a few inches long, looked like part of the paint was taken off for part of it and then all for end the end of it.

I got one of those paint pens to try and fix it up, but rather predictably I've totally messed it up and it now looks terrible. Which is rather distressing since I've only had the car a few weeks. I think I made the mistake of putting on the 'primer' first, which was a dark red to my cars bright red, I've since put the proper colour over the top of it but the primer still shows through and I've ended up with a scar on the front of the car :'(

I'm thinking I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer, do you think they could fix it up so it looks like new? More importantly how much is it going to cost me? I know that ringing the dealer they are just going to say "bring it in" but would be good to have some idea how much it is going to cost me!

I've got a couple of photos of how it has ended up

(393k)
(352k)
(390k) Any advice appreciated!

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Use PNGs next time so we get a decent idea of what it looks like ;)? First thing to do is get some thinners, get a cloth, and get the paint you've put on the car off. Don't worry - it won't damage the Ford paint. Then have a look at the scratch - if it's pretty fine and white looking, or several fine white looking scratches, you can polish it out. If it's down to primer, you've got to take it to the dealer to be repaired, or you'll invalidate the bodywork warranty AFAIK. Invalidating the body warranty on a Ford isn't something I'd be keen to do TBH...

Reply to
Doki

Oh bugger! You mean if I take it to the dealer like it is I'll invalidate my warranty? :-(

I'm not keen on doing anything more to it as I just know I'll mess it up completely and make it 10x worse!!

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Probably not, as you've not really done a repair, just stuck some paint over the top. But, if it's not too badly scratched, it'll polish out and the paint finish will be fine afterwards.

It depends on how badly scratched it is.

Reply to
Doki

Hi, (and hi again guys! [1])

Had a look at the piccies there, looks nasty. Is it really a scratch, or is that a crack down the paint? definitely needs checking out at a bodyshop.

If it's a crack, then you might get this done under warranty, if a scratch, then it's down to you. It would have been easier to deal with if you hadn't been quite so hasty with the touch up.

The red stuff isn't primer, that's the colour coat you need to fill the scratch with. The top coat you can see through is laquer which is used to seal the paint. You will be very lucky to find any touch up stick that will match the original colour.

As far as the warranty goes, assuming that this is indeed a scratch, then the warranty is only affected by the area under the scratch. Another area of the bonnet could have a paint defect, and that is still covered. It is up to you though, to repair any damage to the paint, such as scratches and stone chips.

As far as the warranty on a repaired panel goes, then whoever repairs it, be it main dealer or back street repairer, is then responsible for the workmanship they carry out. The manufacturer is no longer liable for any defects in the paint on that panel, as it is not coated in the paint they put on at factory.

If, however, that panel corrodes, then the warranty is affected by who repairs it. But *only* on that panel. Warranty cannot be invalidated entirely by a single repair, the rest of the car still maintains the manufacturers warranty.

You *may* find a local 'Chips Away' chap might be able to restore the bonnet to a good standard. Do note though that this is only a cosmetic repair, as they use a paint that is softer than standard. It should last a couple of years though. However, some do not like reparing bonnets, being a nice flat shiny area, it is likely the repair will be visible.

Hope this helps.

[1] been lurking for a while.
Reply to
Andy Hewitt

If I do decide to try and remove my paint, what sort of paint thinner do I need to do the job?

Knowing me I'd end up getting the wrong sort and end up burning through the whole bonnet or something :-\

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Only really looks nasty because of my bodged repair! Before that it what white in appearance and looked very much like a scratch.

Agree!

This was "Colorado Red" which is the same colour as the car, indeed when I was putting the second coat on it *was* an identical match for colour, but the dark red still shows through!

That's good to hear.

Thats the thing you see, I'd rather take it to somewhere which will do a proper repair and having the bonnet looking like new. I've only had my car a few weeks and want it looking perfect! :-(

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Just read your other post. Seems you live only a couple of miles away from me (we might be related :-o)

Do you have any recommendations for someone who can be trusted to do the repair around this area, i.e .Newcastle/Gateshead?

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

I've fixed up several similar scratches on my car, takes some elbow grease but works a treat!

1) Clean the area with thinners 2) Use the touch up paint to fill the scratch and leave it so the new paint is at a level above the surrounding...kind of like a long blob. Can be tricky with crappy touch up kits...I used a cocktail stick and dipped it into the paint then let the paint run into the scratch. 3) Wait for it to dry fully!!! 4) Use some very fine grit (1500) wet and dry paper to bring the new paint level with the surrounding area. I used a hole punch to make small circles of the paper then glued it to the eraser end of a pencil for the sanding, saves you mucking up too much of the ok paint which can take a lot of effort to make shiny again. 5) Use a quality fine cutting agent to bring back the shine...I use Meguiars scratch-x, takes 3-4 attempts normally but it does work. Tried Autoglym paint restorer too but found it too harsh.

HTH! A

Reply to
Adam M

Bog standard paint thinners - I think I used Xylene thinners or some such on my Ka, and was fine. The Ford paint is baked on, and AFAIK is not affected by *any* thinners. Chances are that unless you're very unlucky, the scratch will only be in the clearcoat (lacquer) on top of the colour coat, and nowhere near being down to the primer. If it is, a cloth and some Autoglym Super Resin Polish, mixed with a Sunday afternoon of elbow grease will have it sorted out.

You'll never get all the paint off with thinners by the way - you'll get most of it off, and smear a thin layer of paint about the place. It'll polish straight off the thinners has evaporated, as touch up paint is much softer than the factory stuff. And there's absolutely no need to worry about damaging the paint with the Autoglym - the stuff has a very mild cutting action, and it's pretty much impossible to c*ck up.

Reply to
Doki

Shouldn't think so, I came up from Hertfordshire. Besides we have another Andy Hewitt here too (at work that is).

Not really, we have our own bodyshop at Washington, but they are very much similar to any other bodyshop, they just have Honda approval (that works the same anywhere though).

A proper jobs is going to set you back the fat end of £300, as they'd paint the bonnet and blend into the surrounding panels.

I could try our 'Chips Away' boys (we have a couple that travel between branches in vans), but I know they don't like doing bonnets. They normally charge around £65 +VAT.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

The second coat is completely clear, that's why it looks identical.

Not on the cards I'm afraid, any repair is going to be noticeable, even a full bonnet spray, not many bodyshops can match the colour *exactly*, especially with metalic.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

First

That's what I did. I got some terpentine (sp?) substitute and managed to rub away the paint undercoast and top coat sucessfully. However in doing so it seems to have fixed the scratch at the same time, so by the time the paint was all rubbed away there was no more problem! yay! You can see see it very slightly if you look at it at the right angle in the right light and right up close.

Hasn't completely fixed it, theres now a dull patch on the bonnet, probably caused by the resiude of the paint I rubbed off as much as anything. I'm hoping a wax and polish will sort that out.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Hewitt