adjusting Zenith carb

Hi everybody

Can anybody tell me how to increase the mixture strength on my series 3, which is fitted with a Zenith carb? There seems to be only one candidate for the correct screw, located very low down on the carb and pointing obliquely at the rocker cover. Is this the right screw, and do I turn it in or out to strengthen the mixture? Have looked in the Haynes BOL, and can't make head or tail of it.

TIA

Dave

1983 series 3 SWB petrol
Reply to
David Bexhall

That is the right screw, and I think, but not sure, it regulates fuel not air, hence unscrew for richer. JD

Reply to
JD

Its the idle mixture screw. To set it, screw in throttle stop to give a fast idle then slowly screw in (weaker) until engine falters, unscrew slowly counting turns until engine falters again (too rich), turn back halfway between and you've got the ideal position. Reset the idle speed.

This sets the idle mixture, nothing else can be adjusted. If you thimk it is running rich, check the float level, it could be too high. Otherwise its time for a rebuild or replacement.

Don't be tempted by a Weber carb, they are crap in this application.

Sean

73FL74 101GS 1984 110 2.5D Medway Military Vehicle Group
Sean Ryan