SLIME

No, not a reference to a certain person currently on holiday courtesy of H M Prison Service...

The stuph that you put in tyres...

Halfwitfords don't stock it no more... Who does?

What are opinions on it?

I simply need something to stop an ever so slow leak of air. (fna)

Reply to
Mother

Google says...

Seems to be aimed at bike tyres, rather than car tyres, though I can't see why in particular.

No idea if it is any good.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Odd. That's the stuph, but it says for tubed tyres... (?)

Reply to
Mother

I see what you mean, most bikes have tubeless tyres! I'd have thought it was mostly for bikes because of the weight issue - or lack of it in a bike. I haven't had time to read Tim Hobbs' google links but I'm sure I have read that it is a non-permanent repair, and companies will charge more to change a tyre filled with these puncture repair foams and slimes.

Reply to
Wolverine

Partly the size of the package, I suspect. But possibly the difference between tubed abd tubeless tyres. Not many cars these days use tubes.

There are alternatives for cars and trucks. I've seen them in agricultural machinery dealers.

These things can clog a tyre valve, for one thing. I reckon a tractor doing hedge-cutting would be typical of where it's worthwhile.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Kineck - Argos sell it....

Reply to
Mother

Martyn,

Piglet has some in his tyres for a while. Then I paid 3 times what it cost to put in, to get it out again :(

Think liquid in your tyres.

Think wobbly steering after leaving vehicle stood for a short period (read

24 hours).

Think - balancing?

Think - do you really want to try it in such a large tyre?

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Where I used to work we used to put some stuff called "ultra seal" into the truck tyres never had a problem with balancing or such

In the sales patter it said would give increased fuel economy as once fitted and inflated to the right pressure the tyre would remain at that pressure

We actually got something like a 2% increase in economy and a

22% reduction in the number of punctures (the vehicles went on a lot of building sites to deliver/collect and empty portable toilets) Whether this was due to the ultra seal is debatable

My only reservation about using the stuff was in the demo we got the rep put an icepick type thing into the tyre )made a nice 1/4 inch hole) filled tyre with "ultra seal" rolled tyre around and inflated it great stuff no leak BUT a 1/4 inch hole would have damaged the cords so reducing the strength and no one would know till the tyre went Bang or possibly worse if you put the stuff in after, fine, you use it as an emergency get you home but if put in as a prevention how would you know your tyres damaged

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Yours and Neils comments noted, however...

I intend to use it on just one tyre at present - which has a very slight air leak (probably around the bead somewhere, or maybe valve seating). The tyre in question loses around 10 psi a month, so a little squirt of (now purchased) Slime, should do it (I hope).

Reply to
Mother