Advice, LR 90 diesel ('89)

Just about to commit myself! Is there anything I should know about the diesel engine in this model? MPG, weaknesses, etc... the seller has just had the pistons changed - what should this be telling me? My last Landie was a petrol one, and by the time she had to go I knew quite a lot about it! Any tips gratefully received, TIA.

Anthony

Reply to
...erratic

Why go to the trouble of fitting new Pistons then get rid? Budget for a replacement engine and you won't be disappointed.... unless the gearbox goes too.

I fitted new Pistons amoungst a shed load of other stuff to my 1990 Rangie... I made damned sure I got my monies worth out of it before letting it go. Now if I was not overly confident in the work I may just have dumped it straight away IYSWIM. Personally I'd steer clear unless the price is very keen, plenty of good examples around if you really look.

Lee D.

Reply to
Lee_D

thanks for the information Lee, I should have mentioned that I'm in Switzerland, the LR in question must have been one of the last diesels imported, as after that they did not meet the anti-pollution standards here, so there is a gap between 1990 and 2000 when the TD5's came in. Pricewise it is correct for out here. It has just passed the equivalent of its MOT, which is state run and a fairly good gaurantee that the car is OK, oh, and it has 170,000km on the clock. Thanks again for the information, will be seeing/driving said car this pm...

Anthony

Reply to
...erratic

In article , ...erratic writes

It's the era of the 19J TD engine. See eBay item 4592128188. Having said that, mine's 1988 and running fine at the moment.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

if its a 19j then its a turbo model and these had a tendency to crack the pistons .

so long as the engine runs ok , does not smoke , does not overheat or blow water out of the header tank it may well be ok .

the problems associated with cracked pistons can also include blown headgasket and cylinder head problems . just make sure the engine runs ok and check closely it doesnt make a lot of smoke from exhaust .

the 12j engines run almost forever but addition of the turbo to them didnt turn out well , better to get a 200 or 300tdi .

if it is a nice engine you will be ok so long as you dont try driving it like a racing car .

Reply to
m0bcg

Ask the vendor *why* the pistons were changed. If they got damaged due to lack of water, hot-spots falling etc out then fair enough. If they were changed because of blow-by then you need to be very sure that the block has not "gone porus".

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Proud new owner! Runs fine, no smoke, no shakes, and if the engine lasts another 170,000km before needing new pistons I can handle that.

Thanks for the advice!

Anthony

Reply to
...erratic