Immobiliser problem.

Landrover Defender 300Tdi (1998) Immobiliser problem.

I am having problems starting the vehicle. Put the key in the ignition, and have to wait a while before the immobiliser will allow me to start the engine. Some times it will take several attempts to get it started. I have changed the battery in the fob, but this has not improved things. I believe there is a passive coil fitted around the ignition switch, I am thinking this could be faulty, is it possible to change this as a DIY job, or is it one of those jobs were you need the TestBook computer. Anyone else had this problem?

Derek....>>

Reply to
laundry_man

Same problem a year ago 1997 300 Tdi 110 CSW started when it felt like it after a few minutes/ etc.

Changed coil/ starter motor mega bucks.

In thge end it turns out the 2 button fob immobiliser has a problem with the Alarm Spider under the passenger seat. The PC board breaks up and causes an intermittent fault. LR produced an upgrade which involves installing a new board and a hidden transducer that you wave a fob at to deactivate. The coil then becomes obsolete. 2 green fobs and one master Gold fob ( dont lose )

I had mine replaced and had no problem for 11 months when the f*** thing performed in France again, just got back and totally Kaput. Got it repaired under warranty ( ie less than 12 mnths old ).

£ 180 to supply and fit.

Apparntly you can have a go yourself by taking out the board and looking for black scorch marks on the PC underside then apply a soldering iron ( hoping for the best )

Good luck

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

Hello John Thanks for the reply. From what you say it may be worth having a try with the soldering iron first on the spider. I will also call at our local garage to see how much they will charge to replace the spider, or fit the upgrade. Thanks for the Advice. Derek.......>>

Reply to
laundry_man