Breakdown services

Hi all. Anyone recommend a breakdown service aside from AA/RAC? I am in merseyside.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Yes I'm fed up with RAC. I joined at £35. Next year it was still £35, but £45 special price for me :) Couldn't I just leave and rejoin? No they've stopped that loophole. I was annoyed and got it pushed down to £39. This year the renewal letter came £55 Wow! They said I could save £12 by taking DD, but that's not what I want. And what has £12 got to do with my original CC contract? I then offered £50 but they were not in the mood. And I've never had to call them during my two year membership. Needles to say, I'm no longer subscribe and am looking around for alternative.

Reply to
Johannes

I did call them out last year, and they bumped the premium from £118 to £157 (joint full cover). I could go to the web sit and start as a new customer for £142. The call out wasn't even a great thing, a small fuel leak on the bike that was botch repaired by the RAC guy. It did get me home, but there was no certainty that it would - a recovery would have been better.

I went to Green Flag for £128.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

There was an article in last Saturdays Independent newspaper, which gave an alternative breakdown service, where you pay £30 to join for a full service - relay etc, but you have to pay the local garage that comes out to you, then claim it back later. Trouble is, I cant remember who it was who was offering this service, and the paper has since been used to start my fire. Doing a quick google brought up this from the Guardian:

It is ideal for people like me, who carry a tool kit and some spares in the boot,so only require cover for an emergency - I've been a RAC member for 5 years now, and never called them out - I only pay up as I always worry about getting 2 punctures on a motorway etc, where I'll have to pay 3 years membership to get the car towed off.This company would save me £50 a year immediately, I'll be looking into it when my renewal is due in April. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

The message from alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) contains these words:

Or, to be honest, one puncture on a motorway if it's on the offside.

Reply to
Guy King

Got Green Flag, basic. £38 for 1 car, £42 for joint on a discount of 10% for each no claim year up to a maximum of three years no call out.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Every time I called the RAC it has been 2 hours or longer to get to my car. Once when I was away it took them over 4 hours to get to my wife despite them saying the mechanic was on his way every time she rang them. AA seem to be at least twice as quick but don't seem to be able to direct the mechanic to the breakdown.

Reply to
Malc