Alpine windows removal & re-fitting?

Any tips? The seals are perished & dripping a bit. Got new seals & filler bits, is there a tool required?

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

there is a tool, Frost sell them but a screwdriver does just as well

Richard

Reply to
Richard

bits, is there a tool required?

Removal is easy - either pull the filler strip out and then ease the glass out, or vist Longleat and the little monkeys will do it for you.

Getting it back in is a bit tricky, as with the headlining in you can't do the "string method". With the inevitable Health & Safety warning - here's how I do it. Put the seal in place and spread lots of Vaseline where the glass goes. If you "start" the glass in the seal you (carefully!) run a suitably blunted screw driver round the seal to lift it over the glass (sounds easy, doesn't it). Then suitable lubricate the filler strip and start it off in the slot. Again using the blunted screwdriver* you can slide it along pushing the filler strip in. Be prepared to do this more than once - the filler strip stretches quite easily and so may seem too long or too short. Apart from the obvious risk of stabbing yourself or breaking the glass it's not too bad a job.

*forks from the Longleat cafe work quite well too.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

er bits, is there a tool required?

My alpine rubbers have perished - can you tell me where you got them from and how much?

cheers Gavin

Reply to
datchworthdisco

bits, is there a tool required?

I got them from me - very cheap too!

£20.72 inv VAT + 3.50 P&P to everyone else though for 2 x seals and 2 x filler strips.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Cheer Richard.

I also need to the rear side windows as they have gone as well.....

1) Are they as bad a doing a windscreen? 2) How much inc VAT please ;-)

cheers Gavin

Reply to
datchworthdisco

If you mean the ones either side of the back door then the principle is much the same if you have the earlier type of seal (it's a 2-piece same as the Alipne's) except the string method can be used. Later on they went to a 1-piece seal, which is a bit of a swine but do-able.

The two piece are £12.12 inc VAT for both windows.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I'd recommend the tool, its a lot quicker than screwdrivering it!

I've just bought a window tool from frosts to do the side windows on my 101 with. It was a lot quicker and easier than when i did the side windows on my landy with screwdrivers!

I'd also recommend soaking the seals in soapy water before you use them. makes things work a bit easier

Reply to
Tom Woods