RR P38 Overheating

Hi

Coming home tonight I suddenly lost power. I noticed that the temperature gauge was in the red, luckily I was only 200 yds from home.

I let the engine cool sufficiently and checked for split hoses, I could not find any splits so I topped up the reservoir which only took about 3 pints to bring the level to full. So I decided to road test the car but after about half a mile the gauge started heading towards the red so I returned home. As I reached the house the needle was again in the red zone. I can't see any leaks.

Can anyone suggest a cause and diagnosis of the problem.

Martyn

Reply to: info at onecal dot co dot uk

Reply to
Count de Monet

Have you hcecked your oli for any emulsion type gunk? From what I read it does sound like the block/liner problem. I'm sure a real expert will tell me to bog off soon enough!!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

sound like the block/liner

Should have said, the engine is a 2.5 6cyl BMW Diesel

Reply to
Count de Monet

Sounds like head gasket failure. The water has to go somewhere.... on cold days it will be clearly visible out the back end if it's going down the bores as the exhaust will have a kettle effect. Otherwise it could be getting into the oil, as Nige says look for gloop in the oil. I'm thinking more along the lines of into the bore myself.

A decent workshop should be able to diagnose the problem with the right kit, certainly work out cheaper than experimenting.

Before you do anything though it's worth just listening to the block once the engine is switched off. I identified water dripping out of a water gallery on my Rangie VM engine this way having been loosing water for a few days. It would evaporate so quick no dribble was evident. Another trick would be to suspend a large plate of glass or perspex above the hot engine and the steam (which rises) will hopefully condense on the glass/perspex assuming it is a leak external and not internal.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Most likely head gasket failure, sounds like a job for an expert to me!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

Has the thermostat failed in the 'shut' position?

SFHL

Reply to
SFHL

This is being checked at the moment