Cracked It!

Well, I managed to get the screen out with no trouble. The seal was so perished it just fell apart so a gentle push from inside and the screen was in the hands of number two
son.
Much cursing and muttering later the new seal was round the old screen and a piece of bailing twine inserted in the other side - we were ready for the next bit.
Offered the screen to the hole and with a nudge it settled back enough to get the seal over the lip so that the twine could be pulled. We aborted this attempt as the screen was too much of centre. However, our confidence had grown as we could see how it all worked.
Offered up a second time (much better) and pulled and pulled. The screen settled back nicely. Smugly we tugged the twine for the last couple of inches. Yep, Autoglass come tomorrow with a nice new tinted screen.
Well at least we tried!
Regards,
Richard
That's harsh, Generally it'll just pop in.
You insured? My back window (not on Landy) cost me 100 insetad of 188 because my insurers covered it without effecting my claims.

The screen is covered by my insurance with a 60 excess. No issues as it does not impact on my no claims discount.
Regards,
Richard

Hehe, I got a second-hand front windscreen for my Defender from Keith Gott who fitted it for free, compared to the 2,000 quid it costs for a new screen without fitting for the plastic rocket I think that's pretty good going!
--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert

Never considered going second hand! The screen I broke was only about 6 months old. That's when it started leaking and I couldn't get the previous company to sort it out under warranty......
Richard

I forgot to mention the price of the second-hand screen; 50 quid. Less than most insurance excesses.

I broke mine by getting over-zealous when attaching a sucker-mount GPS unit to the windscreen.. Ooops!

Were you outside of the warranty period or were they just playing dirty?
--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert

Inside the warranty. A small company that got very deaf when I called to get them back.
Job done now though. Autoglass chap completed the job in about 20 minutes to a really high standard. He used LOTS of lubricant.
Richard
How did he do the window though?

Though those heated screens are tempting :)
Richard wrote:

:-(
Can you watch him closely and get him to reveal his secrets, then report back to the group?!

That's the spirit!
Regards
William MacLeod

William,
I watched the whole process from removal to clean up. He made it look so easy! I think the key point that I learned is that he used a lot of lubricant around the seal before offering up to the Land Rover. Just slipped in without any problem.
He used the process that you described in an earlier thread. The piece of rope about the size you would use for a washing line was pushed into the seal which was then lubricated. He then started pulling from the bottom centre outwards taking care to keep things even. Round the two bottom corners, up the sides, into the top corners ending up in the middle top. Less than a minute I'd say!
I'd certainly try again having watched closely how it was done. LOTS & LOTS of lubricant......
I hope now that my feet will stay dry and passenger complaints subside.
Now to find the leak in the roof - been looking for two years......
Kind regards,
Richard
so Richard was, like...

I'm sure there is a message for us all here.
--
Rich

Willie,
It's really very simple. Ooops! I dropped the hammer!<g>
Derry