Alternators again

Hi All

Tried posting this a few days ago, but have a nasty feeling I'm the only one who could see it. Somebody answer me please, if only to flame me for posting the same thing twice!

Been mucking about with my alternator this arvo, it's a Lucas AS123 fitted to an '84 110 V8 - the engine is originally from an SD1

3 questions:- First, what does the "aux" connector do/supply from the alternator, as mine is not connected?

Second, what is the max amp output of the Lucas AS123, and does anybody rate it?

Third, as I'm fitting uprated headlights, spots, work lights, an air compressor, camping fridge, convertor etc (all through a dinky little relay panel) what would be a good direct drop-in replacement alternator type, and what amp output should I go for?

I've already got dual batteries with an isolator switch for the additional services, but I don't want to meltdown the existing alternator trying to keep the batteries charged.

TIA

Steve '84 110 V8 Durban

Reply to
Steve Maloney

I have no idea but I saw your post :)

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

I'm familiar with quite a few lucas alternators, but the number you quote means nothing to me, the nearest it comes to a lucas unit that I know of is an A133 which is a 65 Amp normally. I have 2 alternators on my 110, a Lucas

90 Amp unit (origin unknown, but probably landrover something-or-other) for the vehicle and another (Bosch?) from a ford galaxy, rated at 130 Amp, for my winch batteries. Any can be made to fit by swaping pulleys and making bracketry. Just make sure the charging lead from the alternator to the battery is rated to take the full charge current! Badger.
Reply to
Badger