disco1 key fob problem

today my key fob started playing up. it would not open the doors, even removing the battery and resetting the key fob made no difference. got a new battery for it and touch wood its working. but should i be able to open the doors and start it using the key when the fob does not work. when i opened the door the alarm went off, even turning the ignition made no difference. surely there must be a way of starting the car should the key fob die ?

paul.

Reply to
Paul

difference.

See..EKA on this page

guys are really helpful and did a good job fixing up my dodgyfob at Billing

Chris

Reply to
ChrisG

Paul came up with the following;:

It's in the handbook, but if you don't have one ...

copied below if you have a problem with the site, as I did when I first tried to get on. "The procedure has to be done exactly as shown below or as described in your handbook if not it will fail. After 3 failed attempts the system will not let you attempt this procedure again for 10 minutes or 30 minutes for Land Rover. Using the ignition key insert it into the drivers door lock.

Turn the key clockwise to the locking position (the doors will lock) and hold it in this position for at least 5 seconds. After 5 seconds slowly return the key to a central upright position.

The first digit of your security code can now be entered. Turn the key fully as far as it can go anticlockwise the unlock position (the doors will unlock) then back to the central upright position. This should be done the amount of times as the first digit on your security card.

The second digit of your security code can now entered. Turn the key as far as it can go clockwise the lock position then back to the central upright position. This should be done the amount of times as the second digit on your security card.

The third digit turn the key anticlockwise the unlock position again the times shown on the security card

The fourth digit turn the key clockwise the lock position again the times shown on the security card.

Once this has been completed turn the key to the unlock position once.

If the code has been entered correctly open the door the red flashing LED light on the dashboard will stop and you will be able to start the vehicle.

Problems ?

When turning the key in the lock it must be done with precision and slowly. On some worn locks you may have to turn the key slightly past the central upright position, if you listen closely you should be able to hear the switches clicking inside the lock.

This procedure will not work on Rover 100's or Mini there is no override procedure, get a spare key fob!!

According to Rover the immobiliser will stay off once this procedure is completed, it will only work again by using a key fob, this may not always work, we have come across many vehicles which have become immobilised again after a period of time after using the EKA code, or when the vehicles battery is disconnected or run flat, do not rely on this system for long periods, get a new key fob."

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately i do not have the EKA code, i am the

4th owner so its got lost along the way. any idea how much rover will rip me off for looking in there database for it?
Reply to
Paul

It may be worth getting a new fob, around £40, several people advertising on the web. I just got a new replacement and it works well.

Les

Reply to
Dadio