Anyone know owt about this...

On or around Tue, 05 Feb 2008 21:42:10 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

not sure that one isn't on oversize wheels. Part of it is about huge clearance and very low gears.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yep, it's on huge wheels and tiny gears, helps a lot, plus of course having a chassis made of the same metal they make clockwork springs out of from the look of it! They're designed to flex a lot.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I don't find them interesting to be honest, although they've been bought to my attention a few times, one issue is the size, they're big, about the same size as an army Bedford, and the technology isn't more interesting than the pinz (IMHO) and they're not as freakish as an old 'mog. To me they sort of fall into the ho-hum category. I saw one on the road just recently and I didn't really like it in the flesh either.

I'd love an 8x8 unimog, that would be interesting! I don't know of any that were ever made though.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:23:43 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

not AFAIK. the only 8x8s that size I've heard of are the ones made from LR parts and their successors made in the US using US parts of some kind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hmm, not sure the 8x8 made from landy parts (the Escaro IIRC) would be unimog size, more like landy size! I've seen a fair few pics of the Escaro and they don't look large, about the size of a 110 in a forward-control style.

Going the other way, there have been a few 8x8 haflinger conversions, the modular drivetrain practically begs for it!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Fri, 8 Feb 2008 12:43:01 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

Depends on what you class as unimog-size, the old 404s aren't all that big. The escaro ends up with a wheelbase something around 140" I should think.

The design was also made bigger (surpise) in the US.

I'd have thought that you could do an 8-wheeler Pinz quite easily, on the same basis.

There's a sod-off russian thing on the same plan, fixed middle axles and countersteering ends.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yeah but with smaller wheels and no portals or lockers, it's not going to be anywhere near as capable as an 8x8 mog for most things.

They probably made it crapper too ;-)

Indeed, should be relatively easy, not that I'll be having a go, it's just something I'd like rather than something I'm prepared to put money and effort into!

Also the yanks do a current family of military vehicles on that same plan that can do up to 70MPH supposedly..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I was going to say that Austin I deliver airfreighted parts to A C Price at Ingleton when I park the Daf next to the Mogs they look quite petite. But the weight of metal on the chassis and running gear says a lot about the durabilty of the motor that and my aching back carrying halfshafts and UJ's round to the stores.

Derek

Reply to
Derek