Just assuming: RRC Restoration of Sills

When in doubt self tapping screw but when without resort to glue :)

Reply to
Larry

A parts catalog is invaluable is it not, you can point to the number for the gizmo and then wait to hear that they are no longer available :)

Some noisome bit that stops the wing rattling on my series is now not available, so I had to use fibreglass yet again., probably last longer than a replacement anyway.

Reply to
Larry

Ok.. Assuming I get to keep Alfie and can be motivated to do the work.

How do the plastic rivet type fixings get removed which hold the Plastic trim rinning the length of the sills? And more importamntly incase a kiss with the angle grinder is the order of the day. Can they be purchased to refit and how are they refitted?

Sill replacement.. whats the best way to go about it? I've done quite a bit of work on Series motors... see

, I assume the same principles apply but from any one who has been there and done it any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Also and cunning advice re door alignment bearing in mind the sill replacement and also I would guess door pillar may need repair.

All this is post RTC with the usual ravages of time a 1990 Rangie suffers.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

When I had the sills done on my previous rusting wreck (a 1983 RRC IIRC) the plastic trim was held on with expanding plastic plugs - push plug through trim into hole in sill, then push centre pin through to expand tip of plug to grip sill. I drilled them all out and replaced them. If I can find my parts book, I can let you have the number. Whether they are still available tho' . . . .

As to the best way to do it. I didn't but my magician with a MIG welded RA section along the inside and bottom of each sill from front to back and flat plate on the outside down to meet the RA section - effectively boxing the sills in. He also welded plates all along the bottom of the rear frame (in situ) where it had rotted, rebuilt the wing rails and both driver and front passenger footwells. I spent an AWFUL lot of money on welding for that particular RRC. But none on door pillar repair.

HTH

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Would appreciate that.

Again assuming it's in order I have the following shopping list.

Front wing Wing strip set (whats this all about then?) Footwell Door pillar repair Outer sill Inner sill. New rubbers x2 New nuts and bolts x2 sill to the rubbers.

Does the rear wheel arch visible when the back door is opened weld to the sill? I guess it does in which case I need one of these too. Can this

be trimmed to fit a 4 door? if not can I get a 4 door one?

anyone?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Richard Savage writes

Just punch all the centre pins through with a punch or nail and pull the trims off ... drills are for wimps, use an 'ammer!

The plugs were available a few months ago from my local 'bits place' ... if not places like RS stock them

Reply to
AJG

Lee, not ignoring you. Just can't find my parts book, which is anoying as I now need to identify a part. grrr

Is finding all the above numbers time critical for you? (The number for my little bit of bent plate is not).

Cheers Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

No problem... I think I'm going to be intimate with the parts book too shortly. I've agreeded a settlement and begun the easy bit... pull it all apart.

Photos to follow shortly :-(

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Still can't find the blasted book. Even better, while faffing about replacing the springs I noticed a rust spilt in the sill under the B pillar on the driver's side! I guess I'll be flexing my welding skills (which have improved since my previous RRC). The joys of RRC ownership.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage