Automatic Freelander

I have recently got a Freelander diesel automatic and this is the first automatic I have ever had.

When I am running along at, say, 55mph the rev counter shows around the

2000 rpm mark.

If I then take my foot off the revs drop to around 800 to 1000 but the speed does not decline - almost the equivalent of knocking it out of gear on a manual.

Is there a problem or is that standard on the automatic.

Thought I had better try out you lads here first rather than make a fool of myself at the dealers!!

Reply to
Phil Popodopolus

Phil there is no problem with your car.

Are you based in Greece?

Take care Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

In message , Pantelis Giamarellos writes

No - the UK.

My nom-de-plume is taken from one of your most illustrious refugees who has found himself a cushy number in the UK for the last 57 odd years.

Reply to
Phil Popodopolus

Slightly mis-spelled though.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

This is standard on any automatic. There is no engine braking effect.

Cheers

Blippie

-- Ten minutes of this rain will do more good in half an hour than a fortnight of ordinary rain in a month.

Reply to
Blippie

That sounds normal for a diesel auto. I suspect there is a Sprag clutch which allows over-run. A petrol auto won't have the Sprag clutch.

BTW, are you missing a "o" in the spelling of your name?

Ron Beckett Emu Plains, Australia

1995 P38A Range Rover HSE 4.6 Litre V8

Reply to
The Becketts