Aux fans

Hi all been lurking for a while and have found many interesting discussions... some skirting around my problems but never quiet nailing it... so here goes.

3 questions regarding '93 auto RR (with AC)

-1- is the temp gauge sender the same as the temp sender for the ECU? if not which one is siturated where?

-2- I notice that my aux fans come on a lot even if I haven't been stuck in traffic and the outside temp is really quiet cool (I'm just outside Manchester). I know that the aux fans are to cool the condenser on the AC when that is switched on, and am also aware that the ECU can override this and switch them on if it thinks the engine needs extra cooling... but my temp gauge never moves over half way, so why are the Aux fans coming on so often?

-3- Also the car can sometimes be hard to start when warm... timing it critical here, in other words, if it is left long or short enough it fires up no problems, if on the other hand you leave it about the time it takes to fill the tank and pay at the cashier then it some times won't start at all or, can be coaxed into life with a lot of accelerator pumping... and then it runs like a dog initially.

rgds

tom

Reply to
Tom

Had the same on a Rover 820..... turned out to be the ECU temp sender which incidentally was also fooling the ECU into thinking the engine was Hot when it wasn't and causing all sorts of odd tickover problems when cold. As for it's location I've not a clue but Guess it may be the route of your other problems.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

No, the temperature gauge sender is the one on the left (as you look from the front) with a single spade terminal, the ECU temp sender is on the right and has a connector that looks like an injector connector. In fact you would be forgiven for thinking that there are 5 injectors on the left hand bank. the 5th being the ECU thermistor.

Assuming that you have the AC turned off... it could be that the ECU temp sender needs replacing OR the thermal switch on the thermostat housing is operating incorrectly OR your temperature gauge is too slow to react and all is well...

Change the ECU water temperature sender - it's cheap, quick and easy to do. If that doesn't fix it then ask again :-) You can check the sender with a meter but IME it's easier to change it.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

lee, dave

thanks for the po> > Hi all been lurking for a while and have found many interesting

Reply to
Tom

Change the ECU water temperature sender - it's cheap, quick and easy to do. If that doesn't fix it then ask again :-) You can check the sender with a meter but IME it's easier to change it.

cheers

Dave W.

Ok measured the sender through, and yup it was pretty erratic, changed it out (as you say on 8 quid for a new one) and problem solved.... it starts flawlessly when warm.

thanks a lot

tom

Reply to
Tom