200TDI into s3

I have a complete dsico 200tdi and a complete s3 2.25 petrol.

I want to fit the tdi into the s3.

Is it possible to use g/box and t/x box from tdi,

Is it advantageous to do this, or

Is it better to use s3 g/box and t/x box

Engine mounts I know have to be moved, can get these made up at work

Any other things i should be thinking of.

I did ask b4 then lost connection for a fortnight, apologises for repeating my self

Thanks

Reply to
Tony

On or around Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:30:02 GMT, "Tony" enlightened us thusly:

you can do anything if you try hard enough...

The disco box/tbox is quite a bit bigger. I'd be more inclined to use the series box, meself.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Depends if it's an 88" or 109" which has more room to alter the rear propshaft but then you would need the stage 1 v8 front axle with CV joints.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

if you use the tdi gbox and tbox you will be on permenant 4wd, thus may want to consider changing the ujs in the front axle for something better. you will also have to move the gbox mounts too and fit 2 new props (in my experience) lot less hassle to stick with the series boxes but the end result wont be as nice.

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Had a feeling that the series box would be the way to go, so keep the

200tdi bellhousing and clutch, i am assuming rightly or wrongly, probably wrongly) that the s3 gearbox shaft and mountings will align with the 200 bell housing, does anyone know any different

I've heard that the radiator will probably have to shove forward, and new engine mounts are required to be made.

Anyone out there done it, and got a list of mpinbters to look out for, oh yes btw its an 88" s3

Reply to
Tony

We put a 90 gearbox onto a 2.5 series petrol without any problems (and the 2.5 is the same as the 2.25), so the reverse may be true :) (went the way of a 90 box as the landie was coil sprung with RR axles so perm 4x4 was a good thing) I

I've seen v8s fitted (a 200tdi cant be much longer than a v8!) without the rad moving so you might be able to do it if you are careful.

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

The 200Tdi bellhousing will not fit the Series3 box. The Series 3 box (with it's own bellhousing) will fit the 200 Tdi engine.

You can use a 90 bonnet and front panel to accommodate the radiator and the Series3 engine mountings will fit the 200Tdi. Alternatively you can cut the engine mountings from the Disco chassis and weld them to the Series chassis after removing it's own mountings, IMO I think this makes a better job.

You may need to cut the corner back from the left hand footwell and weld back a triangular piece to make room for the exhaust.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Funny, I was just about to ask about fitting a 200tdi into a series myself.

Only mine's a IIa. But AFAIK the bellhousing mounts up the same for S2a/S3 so my IIa box should fit straight onto the 200Tdi as well?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yes, but in either case I seem to remember one stud needs removing. BICBW. Oh, and don't forget to change the clutch driven plate for one with coarse splines.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Yes, that's a thought. The 2a has a 9" clutch with the older type of pressure plate. Will that mount to the 200Tdi flywheel? Can't use the

200Tdi pressure plate as it takes the later S3 release bearing.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I think you would be better off with a 9 1/2" clutch to handle the extra power/torque and if it *is* a 2A gear box then the bellhousing is deeper than a Series 3 so you will need a 2A pressure plate with the boss on the diaphragm spring tines/fingers. The 9 1/2" complete 2A clutch will fit the

200Tdi engine.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Yes, I agree that a 9 1/2" plate from a diesel IIa would be a better bet. Thanks for the info on fitment.

I have some spare S3 gearboxes, but they need new 2nd gear/synchros. I prefer the 2a gearboxes, and the late ones seem to be stronger than S3 boxes (early 2/2a gearboxes are to be avoided, the (smaller) layshaft front bearing is prone to excessive wear, and the early xfer box layshaft is too small as well)

Alex

Reply to
Alex