BeamEnds Ltd - Shameless Plug

This is partly down to a feature of the video system called "gamma", which is a measure of how the binary data is translated to screen brightness. Macs and PCs are different.

It can also help if your monitor is properly adjusted. The Brightness control should be used to set the black point, so that an image black is only _just_ distinguishable from the screen. Then Contrast is adjusted to set the white point.

For Windows PCs, there are all sorts of utilities to help, some supplied with video cards. If there is something that can with your video card, use it. Otherwise, I can recommend a program called Quickgamma for a basic setup.

The Net Safe colours are a standard set, which can be supported on a

256-colour system without any messy dithering. This is not quite the same as them being nice colours, but they're worth sticking to.

Under various disability laws, some colour combinations may even be illegal. Consider how a red/green scheme might look to somebody who is colour-blind.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I've fixed and ftp'd the two Land Rover images if you want them;

The above images have been cleaned up so should display properly now.

If it really needs reparing we can split the image into frames and edit them in !Paint on ROS ;)

Try the following, RISC OS only though. Save out one of the gif images, hold down shift and double click with the select mouse button and the image will load into StrongEd or Zap depending on which editor you use, Then you'll see reference at the top of the code which reads NETSCAPE 2.0.

I've noticed Netscape 2.0 is apparent in quite a few gif images I acquired over the years, probably orginally created on a Mickysoft system.

I'm only offering constuctive critisism, I'm not having a go :)

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

That's what I had been using until I started to play with PHP.

It does a pretty fine job at code generation, is a doddle to use and has nice WYSIWYG editing mode but you can still get at the raw HTML and all the views track changes made in the others. When you get more into the depths of coding the menus are effectively context sensitive as well, the drop down lists only show you valid options.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, at the edges of the visible spectrum the amount of refraction is noticeable different. I forget which takes the straighter course, I think it's blue. How ever there shouldn't be any noticable chromatic aberation when looking straight ahead through a pair of glasses, using the edges is another matter. I live in a world that has barrel distortion and chromatic aberation in my periphial vision. The brain sorts it all out though.

CSS is wonderful for this, one edit changes the whole site. B-) Similary you can use simple PHP to include standard files for say the header and footer of each page, again an edit to the header/footer file changes the entire site.

Simply avoid the common colour combination (red/green but yellow/blue also exists) and just to be sure make the contrast bewteen text and the background high.

I've also looked at the accesibilty requirements of web pages but quite a bit of them is subjective. One of the biggest problems is that, for accessibilty, one shouldn't use tables for layout... With current browsers how do you do layout without tables?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi All, thanks for the many constructive critisms, which I hope I've now taken on board. Clicking on the logo on the main page now goes straight to the stores. Orange has replaced red, as mentioned earlier. The "menus" are now just plain hyperlinks - the graphics weren't brilliant and the next phase in dividing things up would have meant creating a whole lot more even more incomprehensible ones. Anyway, I've decided the text versions look better, are much quicker and are more meaningful. All except the first stores page now have the right number of boxes to give a consistent style - not too sure how I fixed that bug!

Gives a whole new meaning to "interactive sites" does this!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Looks good Richard.

Any reason that under Series II/IIa Heating you list RTC5225N? I know they get warm and puff out smoke but it's goign a wee bit far to actually list them as a heater. :-)

Reply to
EMB

Thanks for that - hopefulll sorted out now....

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd