better interior lighting (pantelis)

People Hi,

If you are not satisfied with the amount and quality of the interior lights in your Landy maybe we have now found a solution.

Instead of using higher wattage bulbs, which is not a very good thing considering that you may melt the wires or the interior light housing or the lens, you can do the following.

  1. Go to your nearest IKEA store.
  2. Buy one set of DIODER lights. This is a set of four (4) round LED lamps. They operate on 12 V and consume 0.5 Watts each. Each LED "lamps" consists of nine LEDs and it gives a very powerful and white light.
  3. Cut the wire to the required length.
  4. Put one female terminal on the positive and one female on the negative wire.
  5. Open the interior light.
  6. Remove the ordinary 10 or 5 Watts lamp.
  7. Check the polarity of the terminals on the interior light and then connect the positive terminal of the LED lamp to the positive terminal of the interior light housing. Do the same with the negative terminals.
  8. Bent the light housing's terminals so that they leave enought space for the LED round lamp to be attached into the housing. Using some double sided adhesive rubber tape will make your life extremely easy and will not allow the LED round lamp to get unstuck. LED light emit minimal heat so this is not a problem.
  9. Reinstall the clear plastic cover.

Check that the light operates. You must now have ample white light and about 1/10 to 1/20 of the electrical consumption in either amperes or watts.

The LED round lamps can also be used as they are since they can be screwed in position or attached with some double faced adhesive tape.

I carried this lighting conversion on my 1993 Discovery about two months ago and have not had a problem with proper interior lighting since.

I am now considering using the same LED lamps on the doors bottoms as puddle lights (same as the RaRo classics and newer Discos etc)

Hope this helps

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

No way, not now, not ever, not even for my Landy will I ever subject myself again to daylight hell that is the IKEA experience.

Fortunately there's plenty of places to buy LED lamp units - please check operating voltage.

Nice one - please do publish pics/details if you do that.

Reply to
William Tasso

William Hi again,

I can agree more with your regarding the problem with the crowds when visiting IKEA stores.

But then again if you have a spare weekday going there very early in the morning is not that bad.

Actually here in Greece they offer scrambled eggs, beacon, sausage a nice small round bread and as much coffee as you want for only 1.5 Euros (1 pounds roughly) from 09.00 until 10.00 o'clock when the store opens for the other transactions. So you can easily find a place to park, enjoy a relatively nice breakfast and good coffee and then shop with very few people around you. Valid for weekdays not for Saturdays or the sales season though.

Will take some pictures, post them and let you know.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

oh, if it were simply the crowds I'd be happy to applaud them on their success and just grin-and-bear-it as the saying goes.

Let me suggest you have the patience & tolerance of a deity.

Reply to
William Tasso

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:27:37 +0300, "Pantelis Giamarellos" wrote this gibberish:

Before LED units were easy to find cheaply I used to fit fluorescent strip lights in my land rovers, usually the twin-type designed for caravans. one above the centre seat to light the cab, one in the middle of the rear and one above the back door. while I was at it I mounted one on a piece of wood with some stiff wire hooks on the back and a length of cable which was great if working around or under the vehicle. blimey that was 10 years ago now...

Reply to
MarkVarley - MVP

William Hi,

IKEA has only three stores in Greece. Two of them in Athens (for about

5.000.000 people that live in the general Athens city area)

But the new one does not yet attract a lot of crowds, at least not for now.

As for my patience & tolerance thank you for your kind words. But one of the things that I can not stand is big crowds of people. Almost to the level of being agoraphobic.....

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Mark Hi,

isn't it amazing how fast time flies?????? (sniffff)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos