bl**dy ebay......

Ah so you maximum wasn't *really* your maximum, if you'd placed your

*real* maximum in you may well have won.

You *might* have got it for around =A360, you don't know what his maximum bid was. All you know is that his last bid had a maximum value greater than, or equal to, the final value. His actual maxium bid might have been =A392.01 and he'd have still own...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Sat, 20 Nov 2004 01:08:34 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

I do that on something when I'm not gonna be there to watch it, and leave it get on with it. Otherwise I tend to hold my fire, as bidding high too soon can put the price up, which if I'm buying, I don't like...

depends really on how many other people are after the item, and how much they're prepared to spend.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It was until I re-evaluated my position..

if the other bidders bids were incrementing due to his high maximum bid then the increase would have taken seconds, it took minutes so he must have been sitting at his computer doing it manually.

I still hope he drops it on his foot.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Charming! Whoever he is, he's a LR owner too - - - -

Reply to
Mike Buckley

Yeah.

Are they? Even the eBay UK servers?

How very annoying.

Reply to
Torak

Just my dry sense of humour, I wish him no malace.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Provided I bid the absolute maximum I wanted something for, I've nearly always one with a snipe, and usually for less than my maximum bid would have been, without showing my hand to others.

Reply to
danny

ping

and then ping
and draw your own conclusions....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I agree bids seem to attract bids, which is not good from the buyers point of view. Hence I tend to manually snipe but will bit as late as possible if I'm not going to be available at the closing time.

Which you can never know, I've lost things in the past when the only bids to appear have been in the last few minutes. I must admit I don't like this auctions ends at X but in the free for all of the internet I can't think of a workable alternative.

The auction conference on CiX used a timeout system, people placed bids until there had been no more bids for a default of 48hrs the last bidder then won. This worked in the "gentlemans club" of CiX but would never work on e-bay, to many prats about to just keep things ticking along for ever.

Nail, hammer head, if it is more than you, you loose.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

traceroute would be better but both traces give up after:

16 194.117.136.138 (194.117.136.138) 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms 17 62.159.199.41 (62.159.199.41) 31 ms 39 ms 39 ms 18 paix-gw12.SFO.US.net.DTAG.DE (62.154.5.245) 180 ms 187 ms 180 ms 19 * * * etc

But as can be seen the route has entered Germany and appears to be one end of a link to the US...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, that's where my tracert ended too. But there is no doubt they are in the same place, and I'd bet on the US.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Sorry, but that's wrong. I can have two machines (and actually did) with adjacent IPs, identical traceroutes, each on either side of the atlantic and you wouldn't notice the difference (except perhaps if you noticed the RTT difference).

Neither IP, traceroute, nor neighbours is any indication of the actual physical location.

You can tell from their AS[1] that they peer with 5 providers. I would say it's a reasonably safe assumption that they're in the same place, but that's far from having no doubt.

The internet is usually far more complicated than people give it credit. :)

Ta, Aled.

[1]
Aled

On or around Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:07:08 -0000, Aled enlightened us thusly:

even if it's got a name to look up? I rather thought that .de domains had to be in .de ... granted that a numeric address tells you bugger all, by default - sometimes, you cna trace a block as belonging to a particular company or provider, which gives an idea.

hmmm. wonder if I, bearing in mind the froggyness of wannadon't, I can get a .fr address :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Nope, any domain can be anywhere, it's just a case of registering the name then setting up a DNS server to point it to whereever you want (including that you can have multiple names pointing to the same site). Incidentally shackles.de, .fr and .co.nz are all available should you wish to mark your territory a bit.

Reply to
EMB

Each ccTLD has it's own rules regarding registration of domains. I don't know Germany's of France's that well, however I do know that some countries have very strange requirements. Having said that, assuming I can register a .de domain, there's nothing stopping me from assigning a DNS entry to an IP in America, or even an IP that's issed by ARIN, but is actually located in the UK.

Check the French registry, they'll have their own rules.

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled