blackboard paint over cellulose?

I want to paint the fold up crosses on the 101 with blackboard paint so that we can write messages on there with chalk (or does anyone have any better ideas?).

When i resprayed it i did both sides with cellulose. Will I be okay painting some blackboard paint over the top if i just key the surface down first? or is this likely to make a mess?

Thanks!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Matt balck cellulose? Easy to respray. Sorted :-)

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

It is possible to repaint over cellulose with cellulose but you could get a solvent reaction which acts like paint stripper, (even with the same solvent) this is a common problem when re-applying over newly applied cellulose paint as it can still react to its own solvent. Using a different cellulose paint with a different cellulose solvent base is asking for trouble, however, you could be very lucky and get away with it.

I would be more tempted to apply a synthetic blackboard paint over the existing cellulose, guaranteeing no solvent reaction problems.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

thanks stephen!

So i should check the tin of the blackboard paint and go for synthetic which will go over my cellulose with no problems? Is it labelled as synthetic or what should i be looking for on the tin when i visit the diy shops and examine the paint?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Blackboard paint (in brush applied form) will probably be an alkyd synthetic base it is unlikely to be a cellulose base in brushing form.

Alkyd, oil, acrylic or water based paints are generally all brushable and therefore compatible, cellulose and certain acrylics will be in aerosol form.

Look for turps (oil) based paints, not solvent (cellulose) based.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull