Zinc Paint Suggestions

Im thinking of painting my surface rusting 90 chassis.

Zinc paint with a top coat has been suggested.

Does anyone have a good supplier or a good make???

My chassis is surface rust that I can rub off with even just a brillo pad. I assume I get the moveable bits off and paint it on, or do I have to go right back to bare metal (id rather not as Ill have to do it with all body parts in situ.

Could I just put the Zinc paint on (all be it in red) or is the top coat important? Ill have to do on coat on weekend and one coat the next.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

Im thinking of painting my surface rusting 90 chassis.

Zinc paint with a top coat has been suggested.

Does anyone have a good supplier or a good make???

My chassis is surface rust that I can rub off with even just a brillo pad. I assume I get the moveable bits off and paint it on, or do I have to go right back to bare metal (id rather not as Ill have to do it with all body parts in situ.

Could I just put the Zinc paint on (all be it in red) or is the top coat important? Ill have to do on coat on weekend and one coat the next.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

This POR15 stuff has been mentioned too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Any of the "cold galvanising" type paints will be fine. They are generally silver (zinc coloured) and fine to leave uncoated.

Reply to
EMB

Durozinc (black !)

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

I've used POR15 on parts of my chassis. It is a fantastic paint, it sticks like the proverbial to everything it touches, do *not* get it on your skin. It also dries rock hard and looks good though it does need an overcoat as the POR15 itself is not UV stable. If the blurb is right the rust will not go any further.

I scraped and wire brushed all the muck off my rear X-member and then put the POR15 straight on. I used two coats followed by a coat of Hammerite followed by waxoyl. The pump up pressure thing they sell for waxoyl is fantastic by the way.

It'd better not bloody rust anymore!!!!

Reply to
Simon Barr