I think the noise is coming from the front n/s..

Or what not to tell the mechanic. I will insist on trying to be helpful by telling the mechanic everything I can to help diagnose the problem, which isn't always helpful...

Having told the mechanic the above, he looked round and pronounced that the front o/s shock upper bush was gone, the panhard bush was worn, the drop joint and steering box as loose, and the swivel bearing o/s was worn.

I arranged to deliver the 110 for the work and when I got there I said that I was a man of poor means, so the £300 fix needed to solve the problem. Perhaps he should drive it to see if he agreed with me.

He phoned me today to tell me that the noise was a worn *rear* propshaft UJ - badly chattering. So much for me thinking the problem was front n/s.

He did fix the shock absorber, changed the panhard bolt, droparm and tightened the steering box as well as doing the UJ. £190 instead - better.

Now it's nice and quiet again and steers in a straight line too! Just got to get the rear shock mounts done as well, since they are knocking too.

Moral? Don't point a mechanic in the wrong direction! It just takes longer to find the real problem...

--

swap z's in email address for the above

Reply to
danny