Blown a gasket

My landie has been blowing oil out the filler tube since time immemorial, but now it has the classic mayonaisse cast and I am losing coolant to boot. Yep it is bubbling away when I take the filler cap off. I guess that means I have blown the head gasket :(

Is that likely to be the cause of a serious misfire under load, when I was coming back down the motorway? I limped into a layby in 1st gear, stopped for a few minutes, and then managed to get home without incident, but looking at it this morning I figured it is not good.

Reply to
Larry

Sounds like it. At least Series head gaskets are very simple and straightforward to do - only a couple of hours work if you've done a few, an easy day's effort if you're new to them and trying to follow the instructions.

It certainly is.

Reply to
EMB

immemorial,

Petrol or diesel?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Petrol.

Do diesels misfire? I have no experience, but one thing is for sure this is not an ignition problem, the points are brand new and clean as a whistle.

Reply to
Larry

True, but I would decoke & change the valve stem seals at the same time while you have the head off and check the valves for wear & pitting etc and grind in where required.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Yes, if the headgasket was blown, the diesel would misfire just the same as a petrol would, but the reason I asked was I've got quite a lot of old stock copper/asbestos head gaskets which I have been flogging off for £1 each if you want any. Sometimes one of the exhaust valves can burn and give you the same symptoms, and sometimes the cylinder head will crack near the valves (usually on only one cylinder) and blow into the water galleries. Just make sure that the plug leads are in the right order before you remove the head, just a thought seeing as you have replaced the points and you may have disturbed something.

Martin

Reply to
Oily