HID lights on a P38

Anyone know if they will work without upsetting the BeCM?

Reply to
Nige

"Nige" Said

I had a set on my P38 for a few weeks, you will get a "bulb failure" warning if you use main beam, apart from that I had no problems.

Reply to
Andy

Apparently, if you go for the more expensive twin-filament bulb types as opposed to the cheaper single filament with moving shroud for hi-lo, this gets around that issue. It also means that should one blow, you don't loose hi and lo together on that side. Have a look at hid-direct on google, sorry I can't remember the exact web address. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

A more useful question might be "will they still work after the first time I give them them a fecking good dunking whilst playing in puddles?"

Reply to
EMB

Does a P38 have the rapid (as in bump following rather than electrically adjustable) self leveling headlights that lamps fitted with HID bubbles should have?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

P38's have fully auto level susp.

Reply to
Nige

EMB Said

The ballasts on the set I bought have rubber seals everywhere and the documentation supplied suggests they are water resistant.

TBH, if you go that deep in a P38 the headlights will be the least of your worries. __ Andy

1996 P38A 1996 Disco 300tdi 1970 SIIa V8
Reply to
Andy

Wouldn't you need some form of aux lamps for the headlamp flasher?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

People Hi,

Proper HID kits are very effectively protected from water or humidity.

As for how sensitive they are to a bumpy ride it is enough to say that they have no filement and therefore the light emiting elements quite simply are immune to vibration. This does NOT apply of course to the moving focusing center type of bi-xenon lighting elements ("bulbs"). But the proper twin "bulb" type for H4 hi-low "lamps" should not have a problem.

The ballasts are a different story and I guess it mainly has to do with the quality you pay for.

Just remember that proper HID lights are self leveling and also come with light cluster cleaning devices (water spraying jets or wash/wipe).

Fitting them to a P38 should not create a problem though since the self levelling suspension should (in theory) keep the light pattern where it must be so that it does not blind oncoming traffic from the other direction and wash/wipe was usually fitted from the factory (at least here in Greece)

Take care and Happy Holidays Seas> > > >

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Not the same. I very carefully worded wot I wrote... ie. the headlight units themselves adjust rapidly to the attitude of the vehicle so that the lights don't dazzle oncoming vehicles when you hit a bump.

Watch the head lights of a car with HID lights when they switch the ignition on and you'll see the units go through a calibration cycle.

I'll admit to not being 100% sure that it would be "illegal" to fit HID bubbles without the appropiate self leveling units, just a heads up. With a lot of things you can buy for cars just because you can buy them doesn't make them legal for road use.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Seems if you have self levelling suspension and headlamp washers aftermarket ones will pass an MOT - provided the beam pattern is ok on the headlamp alignment tester. My SD1 was fine. But it also has later headlamp units not for an SDI. Of course it will depend somewhat on the individual tester as all such things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They allegedly arc straight up, allowing the flash function to operate as normal Dave. I'm considering fitting them to my 110 which has 4 spots on the roof and another 4 in a pod on the bonnet - all wired via relays to flash with the high beam, so no probs there even if the HID's don't arc straight up. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Only illegal insomuch as a violation of type approval for the vehicle and Construction & Use regs.

Headlamp wash is not an MOT testable item, so wouldn't be a cause for an MOT fail on a vehicle equipped with HID's. Nor is the auto lamp levelling checked. If the lights work and pass the beam test, then it's a pass. A scrupulous tester may issue a pass and advise if he realises they are HID and don't have wash/levelling. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Can you recommend some matey? Took it off roading today, it performed stunning, even had one rear wheel hanging four feet in the air at one point!!

;)

Reply to
Nige

Mine flash brightly when 'struck' then gradually get up to full wick in about a minute. But my experience of this type of lamp in film use is they don't like being switched on and off rapidly - as you might do when flashing. They might possibly protect themselves against damage by shutting down but then you've not got a flasher.

Yes.

I'm well impressed with mine which were bought off ebay a couple of years ago for just over 100 quid including postage - and they've got cheaper since then. I ordered 4300k ones so they didn't look too blue and although the colour rendering is poor (rear number plates look slightly green) they give a decent light for driving - better than the 100w tungsten they replaced.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On or around Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:34:40 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

Of course, you know that you're supposed to have headlamp washers and auto-levelling on a UK vehicle for HID to be legal...;-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 27 Dec 2007 09:15:49 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

as far as I know, yes, it is. That doesn't stop people.

there's no good reason for 'em, either. Ordinary 55W halogens are plenty bright as dips, and having anything brighter is in fact counter-productive. Most modern dip lights are brighter than they need to be and cause unnecessary dazzle, making it very hard to see unlit objects.

As for main beam, if you haven't got enough light for high-speed motoring, a pair of decent spots makes a lot of sense, rather than making the existing lamps brighter.

One mod I do find very worthwhile, and that's arranging for the dip beam to be on at the same time as the main beam. This can be done with one or two relays, depending on the vehicle. All you need is a supply to feed the dip beam, NOT running through the normal light switch, triggered by the main beam.

When on main beam, the dip beam fills in the bit fairly close to you, especially when going over crests in the road.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:06:28 +0000, AndyC the WB enlightened us thusly:

were they genuine 2-element ones, or the kind with one HID and one halogen?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Bloody hell, have you seen the lioght output of the P38? It's utter shit, I'll try a set, if they blind folk, I'll sell 'em.

Reply to
Nige

I am surprised my DII is excellent and I don't think it has anything other than factory fit halogen bubbles. There again a Range Rover is a townee car for lit and surfaced roads. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice