Bolt size

Thought it would be a simple task to bolt on a rear step to my 1998 Tdi 300 (90) but cannot work out the size of the bolt to fit into the captive nut holes in the rear of the chassis

Help would be appreciated

Reply to
Julian Pollard

On or around Sun, 5 Oct 2008 16:04:16 +0100, "Julian Pollard" enlightened us thusly:

it'll be summat silly. Actually, I vaguely recall 10mm, but it's equally possible that it's a UNF, in which case it's liable to be 7/16"

I think the heads on the one I had were 17mm, but that's not conclusive either as if it were 7/16" UNF then it'd be 11/16" AF and that's very close to 17mm.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Many thanks Austin as putting me on to Imperial (oh for the days of the Empire when Johnny Foreigner knew his place !!!) provided the answer

Out of interest the bolts I used succesfully were 3/8th UNC "Austin Shackles" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Is this the spring-loaded foldly up/down step that has two brackets bolting to the underside of the rear chassis? - M10 x 1.5 I'd suggest.

Reply to
Dougal

About the only place that you'll find 7/16" UNF is seat belt hardware.

Reply to
Dougal