Breakdown of the Day (BOTD)

Aargh. Got the rear springs sorted at last and what happens?

Losing power again as I left for a meeting this morning (P38a 4.6). Throttle no longer tightly coupled to revs, if that makes sense - the engine was surging and dropping back, both on lpg and then again on unleaded when I switched across. And then a clonk from the region of the gearbox at the traffic lights... history repeating itself!

Just like last time, I pulled into a layby when it was obviously not going to get better, and as I did so I got a clonk, a "gearbox fault" message and it ground to a halt. I could restart the engine OK, but only with plenty of throttle, it wouldn't run smoothly at all and died as soon as it got to tickover. Last time I got virtually the same symptoms and it turned out the gearbox drive plate had disintegrated. But that was only replaced a couple of months back...

So, out with the AA and a quick trip to Royal Ascot Land Rover.

Here's where it gets odd - I had the engine running as I was winched on to the breakdown truck (so I had steering and brakes) and it was not a happy engine. But when Royal Ascot went to get it into the workshop, it started fine, ran fine, and drove fine. Doh!

They've checked it out and there are 2 problems. A "sliver" of metal in the drive plate (about the size of a 5p, I think they said) and a marked lack of oil in the gearbox apparently due to the oil sump plug being loose. This last one is a bit odd as it was overful a few weeks back and I've not noticed any on the drive - more about this later. But the gearbox isn't damaged, they think, which is just as well.

My concern is, are those 2 things enough to cause the problem? Or is there something else lurking there? They're taking it home on an extended test tonight, but I'm a little worried that I'll pay the bill, they'll send it back, and it'll break down on me again in a few more miles.

What sort of trade-in value do you think I'd get on a second hand Disco TD5? :)

David

PS: On the bright side, I'm glad I paid through the nose for super-duper AA coverage, because I get a free hire car for 48 hours.

Reply to
David French

|| || What sort of trade-in value do you think I'd get on a second hand || Disco TD5? :) || || David ||

Don't do it! I traded the other way (Disco Td5 to P38a) and haven't regretted it one bit. Mind you, my Rangie isn't playing silly buggers like yours is ;-) Hope you get it sorted.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:34:17 -0000, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

lack of oil in the 'box can cause lack of go in the vehicle.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Got a 4.6 Disco you *cant have*

Seriously....it's not that bad....if you had no ATF...then blammo - no drive.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

David> They've checked it out and there are 2 problems. A David> "sliver" of metal in the drive plate (about the size of a David> 5p, I think they said) and a marked lack of oil in the David> gearbox apparently due to the oil sump plug being loose. David> This last one is a bit odd as it was overful a few weeks David> back and I've not noticed any on the drive - more about David> this later. But the gearbox isn't damaged, they think, David> which is just as well.

The sliver of metal could well have been left behind after the previous drive plate self-destructed.

David> What sort of trade-in value do you think I'd get on a David> second hand Disco TD5? :)

Don't do it. You know you'll regret it.

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"

Blimey, after all those problems, no wonder you're starting to lose faith! Go on David, trade it in! Get yourself a smart, late "300tdi" Disco 'cause the Td5 has elecronics to go wrong too. Get back to simple motoring, fiddling about underneath the thing and taking it off road from time to time. You'll never look back. Seems a shame to have learnt a lot about a "real" disco and then move on to a mobile piece of computer hardware that is not proving too reliable.

Guy (being devil's advocate)

Reply to
Guy Lux

The trouble is, having seen my brother-in-law's Disco TD5 (which is currently in the dealer to have a new head gasket), I do quite like the TD5 over the 300Tdi - it's more roomy, it drives better, it looks quite nice too. So I think I'd probably end up moving to a TD5 if I went there at all, but your point about the complexity is of course totally valid... so I'm still no nearer a solution...

What I really need is to keep the P38a for work use and get a 300Tdi to take to Iceland and use when the P38's being repaired. But I don't think that will happen :)

David

Reply to
David French

David> What I really need is to keep the P38a for work use and get David> a 300Tdi to take to Iceland and use when the P38's being David> repaired. But I don't think that will happen :)

I have to say, I've been saying I'd do this for a couple of years now, but there always seems to be something more important to spend some money on than a second car.

AndyC

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"
Reply to
AndyC the WB

I didn't realise there would be such a difference between a 300tdi and a TD5? (don't know my Discos) Do the later 300tdi's not look similar (inside and out)to an early TD5? Or are you looking to get one of the very new ones with the new RaRo style headlights that cost £££s!!

It comes down to either having one work car and one play car (plus a large salary) or having a compromise, that's quite a bit of fun and also smart enough for work. Do you really *need* a RaRo for work and do you need a 2" lift and all that under-body protection for a bit of fun? A smart 300tdi could get you to and around Iceland and be the mobile sofa you need for work. But then, what do I know!

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

I'm no expert on Discos post-94 either, but if I'm getting this right, the TD5 was introduced with the Disco 2, which became longer, heavier and bulkier. The extra length mainly goes on the back, to accommodate forward-facing loadspace seats. This gives quite a bit of overhang though.

The overall look is quite different than a 300Tdi, partly due to the wheel arch eyebrows which get quite prominent, and partly due to the whole thing looking a bit bigger and meatier. They also added things like optional rear air suspension (doh), Active Cornering Enhancement, etc. I'd quite like ACE but I think I'd give the EAS a wide berth.

Don't *need* a RaRo, but it's pretty unbeatable on the motorways, and I do tend to do quite high mileage. It's quieter, smoother and more powerful than a Disco TD5. But it wouldn't exactly be a hardship to use a Disco instead. A 110 might be pushing it though.

As regards the 2" lift, it would be hard to resist!

David

Reply to
David French

I didn`t know there was any real difference between the 300 and td5 either other than the new headlights and trim.

well hows about a nice compromise. Get a clean low mileage 300tdi disco - fit a decent set of aftermarket springs/dampers/arb`s to improve the road handling, upgrade the light clusters to td5 spec, buy some inconspicious protection plates (you could even plasticoat them black to make them virtually invisible if you wanted) and then buy a second set of tyres for offroad playing. that way you`ll have a decent reliable engine, a nice handling motor for cruising the motorways, totally modern disco looks and still have the ability to play offroad! If I had the money to buy a good disco 300tdi I`d definitely go that route! Definitely the best of both worlds.

Nick C ps, slightly off topic - but i wonder how many landies fitted with td5`s will be converted to the 2.8 powerstroke or standard 300tdi engines once the td5 unit goes pop outside of warranty?

Reply to
Nick C

I don't think the Powerstroke is legal in cars of TD5 age because of the emissions. You can only fit it into older vehicles, IIRC.

Reply to
David French

On or around Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:41:53 -0000, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

if you want roomy you need to wait for the new disco, with it's extra 340mm of wheelbase, bigger doors, etc.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So, will this new disco be almost as roomy as a 110? Incidently, how does the 110 compare to the disco for hurtling up and down motorways?

Reply to
Keith Barrett

Not great. The 110 is a bit "Utilitarian" and not really set up for road driving. The Disco is great for motorway munching. I should know - I put

1800 miles a week on one for 2 years.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Horses for courses - I love my 110 on the motorway - 177,000 miles in 7 years, but I do appreciate it may not be to everyone's liking (sorry chaps, but I don't like driving Disco's - just a personal thing)

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

On or around Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:52:56 -0000, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

so buy a 300 TDi and put the powerstroke in it :-)

hmmm. they're still supplying 300 TDis to the military. do the army buy discos?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:22:01 -0000, Keith Barrett enlightened us thusly:

Mine's OK. But it has got ford seats, a RR 4-speed auto and a RR V8 in it.

not much cop with a standard 2.5 diesel.

I'd guess a TD5 would be fine, though I'd tend to hunt better seats - fitting the ford seats from an XR4x4 to mine made the world of difference to it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles