Britpart?

Casting about for a replacement crossmember (yup, Richard, I still haven't got to it!), I have been reading many things about Britpart recently, some decidedly not complementary.

I can't claim to have spent a fortune on their bits, but those I've bought have generally been low-stress and done OK.

Crossmembers are another matter however: I'm keen on alignment and strength, and I'd rather pay a bit more and get strong and well made, than bargain basement, squiffy angles and dodgy tack-welding.

So, should I trust Britpart ones, or look for another? If the latter, then whose?

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

We put a brit part one on JLO and it was fine.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I've used these before, extremely good and accurate, but you pay for it too .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I got a Britpart one a couple of weeks ago, only because it was just down the road and cheap off a friend of mine. The angle of the extensions was out necessitating cutting back welds to alter the height and get the rear face vertical. The major gripe I had with it was that it was powder coated, not primered, and cleaning it off to weld was a nuisance. If they had masked the extensions off and left them bare it would have been a lot easier as the coating melts and runs into the welds and buggers them up if you're not careful. I used to get all these bits (perfect fit) from Marslands but I don't know if he will still supply parts of chassis, can't see why not.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I've no experience of Britpart's chassis bits, but recently I've had a camshaft from them that was so badly ground it would have destroyed the engine (or more likely just not started) and a bulkhead to chassis bolt (big long M12 thing) that sheared when it was nowhere even close to torqued-up.

I've pretty much decided to suck-up for genuine or OEM parts now, to the extent that I'm probably going to replace 16 unused Britpart lifters on the grounds that I don't trust them and they're too important to the engine's happiness.

I did just get a replacement chassis from Marsland and was *really* impressed with both the company & the quality of the chassis - everything fitted perfectly. If they do bits, I'd go there.

Cheers,

AndyC.

Reply to
Andrew Cleland

If that's for the Series Landrover I think I still have some stock, 336738 but if you have a good bolt supplier near to you they are 7 1/4" x 1/2" UNF.

I've dealt with Marslands for a long time and, as you say, perfect products. I've no connection with them other than a satisfied customer and genuine people to deal with.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thanks, but it's a 1996 110, so they're M12. I picked up some from Mackay's in Cambridge - cost a bit more than the Britpart ones, but I doubt they'll shear at the first sign of torque.

AC.

Reply to
Andrew Cleland

On or around Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:22:34 +0000, Andrew Cleland enlightened us thusly:

in general M12 bolts are pretty easy to source.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Unlike Imperial sizes I'm sad to say.

Reply to