MOT

What is checked on an MOT? My car is due 1 week bEfore my baby is due! I have a 7yr old Renault Megane Automatic.

Andrea (UK)

Reply to
Andrea S

This link might help you:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

you can get an mot up to one month before the old mot expires and if it passes you will get an mot with up to thirteen months duration.

However, there is nothing to stop you having an mot done even earlier so that the mot occurs at a more convenient time.

The mot test covers many of the more important safety related items on a vehicle. It is only relevant to the moment the vehicle is tested, i.e. something can fail soon after, which is why regular maintenance and servicing is particularly important.

If you want to check the vehicle yourself then there are various online lists, or look in a Haynes manual.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Many thanks.

Andrea (UK)

Reply to
Andrea S

"mrcheerful ." wrote in news:BcYTe.104808$G8.17005 @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

This raises an interesting question - if it fails, are you then required to get it fixed before you can legally drive it again, even though your old MOT has not expired ?

Reply to
Roger Shilcock

Roger Shilcock ( snipped-for-privacy@uk.ibm.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No.

But if the tester flags it as dangerous, listen to him.

Reply to
Adrian

You should do, and there is the possibility that you might be done for driving a vehicle with a prosecutable defect, but most police stops just ask for the mot etc. so as long as you can produce and don't mention the fail there is unlikely to be a problem, but really you should just get the stuff fixed and the retest done ASAP, after all there is no real excuse not to get the defects fixed straight away. I am a bit disappointed when one of my vehicles fail for something I DIDN'T know about, as it means that I have missed it myself.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I would take it in for the test a couple of weeks early. This gives you time to go around getting estimates, tyres or whatever is needed without the pressure of not having an MOT.

I would also get your partner to take it in for the test if poss, some garages see a woman coming through the door, and they see a licence to print money. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

Provided you remember to take the old certificate with you and make sure you wave it at them early enough.

Reply to
Guy King

oh yes, theres nothing worse after handing the customer thier new certificate for them to say " oh ive got this old certificate with some time left ".........arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!

Reply to
reg

When the new computerised system comes in I presume the police will know that the vehicle has just failed it's MOT from a computer check.

Reply to
TurboJo

So...

1) ask them first (have a checklist?) 2) Say 'Sorry sir, it's in the system now, can't do it'.
Reply to
PC Paul

  1. we are talking about customers here, if i had a £ for every one i asked for before testing and they say no and then decide yes i did have after the test, i wouldnt be posting on here id be sunning myself somewhere.
  2. they are entitlied to thier time left you cant refuse or make any excuses to issue one or not do a replacement certificate.
Reply to
reg

However that doesn't change the fact that it still has a valid one, and is therefore no different (technically) in status from a car which has not been taken for an MOT. Legally I don't think you could be prosecuted.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

you can, as the test only confirms that the vehicle met the minimum acceptable standards at the time it was tested, it does not confirm that the vehicle will continue to remain roadworthy for the next year, it is your responsibility to keep your vehicle in a roadworthy condition.

all on the back of the vt20.

Reply to
reg

reg ( snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.fsten.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sure, but you couldn't be prosecuted for not having an MOT.

You could be prosecuted for the car not being roadworthy, but that would be the same even if the MOT pass was the week before.

Reply to
Adrian

Of that they are swinging the lead.

Last year my car failed on a bent wheel rim and scored valve on that wheel. (I put the spare on for the retest) IMHO the valves weren't scored and the rim wasn't bent. However I had thought the Tracking Rod End had a bit of play and this wasn't mentioned at all.

This year I put the 'bent' wheel with the "scored" valve back on the day before the test and took it to the local DofT vehicle testing station for it's mot.

Sure enough nothing wrong with the wheel or valve but it did need some welding which *surely* should have been an advisory last year.

Moral. You can't trust non DofT MOT stations and you can't *always* trust yourself. (The 'dodgy' TRE is fine and yet I missed the rust)

However between us we must be doing something right 'cos in 15 years I've never paid over =A3600 for a car and I've never had a dangerous incident due to a car fault or otherwise.

Reply to
danny_deever2000

My understanding is that if you knwo about a defect and continue to drive the car then you can get done under construction adn use offenses. For example, if you get stopped because a lamp is out on your car and you say "oh yes it's been like that for weeks" then you can be prosecuted. If you say "I check every week and last time I looked they were ok" then you can't be prosecuted but the police can ask for the defective items to be retested by an MoT licenced garage and get you to submit the recheck certificate to your local or chosen police station.

Reply to
adder1969

A useful, well reasoned reply! Who are you, and what have you done with the real Adrian!

Reply to
danny_deever2000

LOL you took the words right out of my mouth. But not while I was kissing you :-))

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat