Capstan winches

I see Equicar have some as-new Capstan winches to suit Defender for £400.

linked from the front/accessories pageat the moment, or look for item 1056. Probably not a bad bet, given they are the safest form of winch and one of the most reliable, which is one reason the coastguard use them.

David French

Safest?

Well, maybe, but because of the way they have to be used there are a few extra ways an idiot can hurt themselves.

Reply to
David G. Bell

You're probably right, but as somebody who has some idea of what they're doing (I'm not an expert of course) I'd much, much rather be using a capstan winch, from a personal safety point of view, than an electric/hydraulic drum winch.

David

Reply to
David French

I've not seen one used, must you stand next to it and gather up rope as it is wound in? Do they not put you into the fireing line of rusty recovery points?

I've never had to use my T35 Tirfor in anger, but I can't see anything except my back being damaged by that. Nice and slow. David

Reply to
DavidM

You can stand some way clear if you want. The point is that you can totally control the pull, by your tension on the wire. So you can just eeease the power on, control the speed to whatever you want (as long as you don't want "quick"), and you don't suck the other vehicle into your winch mechanism because you can't find the right button to turn it off.

Lousy for competitions, but capstan users probably live longer. The Tirfor of the winch world, almost. Except that the Tirfor is the Tirfor of the winch world, of course.

David French