Centaur/Half Tracks in general: Why?

Hello peeps, something I've wondered for a while and was just reminded about in another post is the following question; other than them just being interesting, what's the point of a half-track? They're slower than a wheeled vehicle and less manoeverable than a full-track and don't have the climbing ability either. I can only think of a few advantages;

  • make use of an available platform, e.g. take a defender and whack some tracks on the back half, but would this save a significant amount over just designing a full-track in the first place? Especially considering the large amount of changes that would be required to the back half (entire new chassis most likely).

  • high-speed stability, it can't have been easy to get a tracked vehicle to turn at high-ish speeds using braked tracks, or at least it could have been rather dangerous trying to steer at high speeds using brake levers. Relatively easy to solve in other ways though surely..

  • errr....

  • um....

Any more? What's the point of them?

Cheers all, off to Sodbury now!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The only point there has ever been for half tracks is that they use an existing platform to provide a vehicle with low ground pressure and good traction. For a given ability on soft ground this will generally give a vastly cheaper solution than a fully tracked vehicle would, but the compromises are such that successful half tracks are extremely rare - how many can you think of? JD

Reply to
JD

The only thing I can think of is that the tracks will have a lower ground pressure so perhaps you can carry heavier loads over softer ground than you could with a wheeled vehicle. As you have also said they are more stable so may make a good platform for launchers or radar.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's what I thought, you might save a few bob but it didn't seem worth it, you might as well modify an existing tracked platform or go the extra mile and custom-build a new vehicle.

So no other reasons then?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The way I see it that fully tracked vehicles are primarily intended to for troop carrying & fighting. They are very expensive to build/maintain & are very heavy due to the role they play in the battlefield.

Half tracks where used by the armies in WW2 for a variety of uses. Massive prime movers for hugging massive weapons/other Tanks etc about the battlefield. They can go where a wheeled vehicle cant go due to lower ground pressure. Due to the very light or noin-existant armour they are lighter & easier to maintain. Also, much cheaper to build.

You wouldn't want to tow an 88mm gun into battle with a Tiger Tank at 56 tons would you? Total waste of resources & not the job it was intended for.

You might see it different, but that's what the military use them for. Civvie street cant be much different, just different applications!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"Christ's fat c*ck"

Reply to
Nige

Possibly a get-around for the Treaty of Versailles banning, among other things, post WWI Germany from having tanks. The 1/2 track enabling them to develop tactics & a track-making industrial base.

Extremely common during WWII as an infantry carrier & prime mover since the compromise was worth while, developments in fully tracked & 4x4, 8x8 etc technology enhancing the on-road performance of tanks and the off road performance of wheels rendering them obsolescent.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Luker

After the total to.......r I met tonight, who decided that as I was on his side of the road he would make the point by entering the single lane formed by parked cars at the junction start and blocking my way. This despite the fact that after about 15 car lentghs I had only 1 car length to go to get out of his way.

I can see a very usefull application for the half track end of the vehicle !!!

I did point out to him that I fully supported testing for the over 70's to see if they were still sane :-)). ( Hope my Dad is'nt listening up there !! )

John H

Civvie street cant be much

Reply to
Hirsty's

I do not have any details of the centaur halftrack but I used the WW2 designed International halftrack during my time in the British Army in Germany. The grip available enabled you to go almost anywhere.They were not slow especially when a much higher octane fuel was used (don't even ask!) It was possible to cruise at 60 mph although the tracks do not last long at that speed. They were an excellent recovery vehicle because unlike the Scammell it was possible to winch while still in gear. The lefthand drive was very useful in Germany too. As allready mentioned the ground pressure was very low because of area of track touching the ground. They were very tough and I remember an armoured car coming off much worse when it ran into the halftrack. Power steering would have been great improvement.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Reply to
Roberts