changing glow plugs in a 94 Disco

Hi folks, I was considering changing the glow plugs in Edie, they have been in for three years now. After saying that should I even bother if they are OK? I have never owned a diesel before and so am not sure, with sparks I cleaned and set and changed when called for.

Reply to
Cyberwraith

|| Hi folks, I was considering changing the glow plugs in Edie, they || have been in for three years now. After saying that should I even || bother if they are OK? I have never owned a diesel before and so am || not sure, with sparks I cleaned and set and changed when called for.

If it starts on the button and idles smooth and fairly smoke-free, I would leave well alone.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sun, 6 Aug 2006 17:35:49 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

TDis almost never need glowplugs anyway - if the battery and engine are in good nick it'll start without 'em.

Generally, one fails first and isn't noticed, then another goes, which can make for slightly bad starting in very cold weather. If you notice it firing up on less than 4 when it's cold, then it's a good bet that you've a plug or more missing.

I wouldn't bother changing them just on spec, though - you don't know (unless you've had the motor from new) how much use they've had - more stop-start use of the vehicle will use the plugs more, which if you accept that they have a MTBF based on number of times they've been heated, means they fail sooner.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Assuming it starts well from cold without producing white smoke leave alone, if it ain't broke don't fix it! Glow plugs aren't "consumables" like spark plugs, they can last the life of the engine.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Last winter I found that my 1997 300TDi Disco was a bit reluctant to start so I checked the glow plugs - all dead.

I managed to fit two new ones. They were the two left over when my mate tried to change his. (Two of them are awkward to get at.)

I reckon I'd been starting the vehicle fine with no working plugs and only noticed when the weather got very cold. I would echo what others have said and not bother looking at them unless you're having trouble starting.

Judith

Reply to
Judith

Thanks folks, I think I will leave well enough alone, Edie has always been a good starter except for the battery bought at a certain large superstore last winter. I am just having the oil changed and filters.

Reply to
Cyberwraith