Chequerplate Loadspace Lining

I'm thinking about fitting one of those complete chequerplate linings to the rear loadspace of my 110 SW (she took a battering from heavy diving gear during her working days).

Anyone fitted one of these linings? Do I need to do any special preparation on the old ally surface, other than filling holes etc.? Do they rattle i.e. some form of rubber mat interface needed? Do they fit as well/easily as advertised?

Grateful for any thoughts / experience of the subject.

Reply to
Stuart Nuttall

How much do they cost?

Round here you can buy an 8x4ft sheet of 3mm chequer plate for about £60, and then get it cut up in a guilottene to your measurements for an extra £5 to £10. Might work out cheaper? I'd imagine that if you bolt it down well it wont rattle - No more than a landy does by default anyhow!

Reply to
Tom Woods

We put "Treadmaster" in ours, usually used on boats as a non-slip surface. It's a cork, rubber composite thingie. Stick it down with wonderful glue sniffing glue. You also get a choice of colours!

Seems OK so far. Only comment is don't buy it of the manufacturers web site, but one of the discount chandlers who advertise in boatie magazines. We paid way over the odds as a result. One sheet easily did the base of the load area in our 110 double cab.

Sarah

Reply to
Sarah Hill

I'll go along with that. Chequerplate is highly over-rated IMO and doesn't actually stop anything from slipping around the loadbed any better than an old blanket.

As a rule of thumb I always use stuff designed for marine applications these days as it's designed to put up with a lot more abuse.

Whey! Glue in different colours - neat idea ;-)

Reply to
Mother

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Tom Woods at tomarse snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 1/4/04 11:21 pm:

Got a large sheet from the local scrap dealers with damage to one corner - can't tell you how thick it is though, but it only cost us £20 and it wouldn't fit in the back of the RR and had to fetch the trailer to put it in.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Sounds like a good idea, anything more marine use has got to be rot proof and weather proof hasn't it.

Reply to
Larry

And Landie Owner-proof...

For kitting out an expedition camper I wouldn't use anything else. The stuff designed for caravans is simply cheap, tacky, badly made and overpriced plastic crap.

Reply to
Mother

I fitted one of the chequerplate kits from Rebel4x4 - bits fitted pretty good, only a small bit of fettling required.

Got pretty beat up in the post tho - corners were well rounded on the long bits.

Did thik about some kind of intermediate layer (after I had started) but it's all just riveted over the base metal. Looks good, still a bit slippy but tons better than the scratched up steel I had before. Did the back door too as the trim panel was disintegrating.

I didn't think the value was bad - all cut and bent to shape for you, just need the fittings.

Reply to
Andy