Cleaning Chequerplate???

Hi All, Any suggestions on how to restore tarnished aluminium cherquerplate?? My 90 is having a new paintjob and I want to put the chequerplate back... but shiny! Thanks CJ

Reply to
aardvark700

snipped-for-privacy@yaahoo.co.uk uttered summat worrerz funny about:

No doubt some good chemical options but I found a brillo pad was quite effective.... well of box of them as they quickly get shredded on chequre plate.

It's hard graft but cheap.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Solvol Autosol? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

If that is the polish for wheels that comes in like a toothpaste tube it does indeed work on chequer plate but takes ages to do as you have to work with the grain for each section My mate did a bit of my wingtops on the landy when he was bored and it was dazzling me for the next 6 months until the tarnish came back!

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yeah, that's the stuff. I used to use it on the aluminium casings on the old Yamaha, as you say it takes ages but the effect is worth it. I used it on a cloth just using a finger tip to rub in a circular fashion like the army boys bully up their boots. I've still hardly got a fingerprint on that index finger! TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Blue Magic. It's not exactly cheap but it's not outrageously hard work and it brings aluminium up to a mirror finish.

EMB

I've got a set of mops brought from I think it machine mart with the proper soap and its ideal for cleaning up ally parts, get an old electric motor, bolt it to the bench, buy a tapered spindle for it, and hey presto its really quick and easy as long as you can take the parts to it.

well worth the £20

Reply to
Tony

Work it into the nooks and crannies with an old toothbrush then polish off.

Reply to
Swanning about

Bit Random, but i was in Focus DIY today, and i saw some JML stuff called DokTor Power...

Sounds a bit gay, but it works really well on checker plate

and its only 5 quid.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury